What is ACTUALLY in these extracts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawDeuce22

Reaction score
I still live in a small apartment and am limited to extract brews only. I want to start to focus on recipe formulation as compared to an all grain recipe so that when that day comes and I switch I will be able to create the same taste and color. So, can someone point me to a website or a thread on here where someone has the ratios of what is in the exracts of:

Briess DME Pilsen- "Extremely pale extract made from base malt and Carapils"

Briess DME Dark- "blend of base, Munich, 60L crystal, and black malt"

I was also wondering if there are places to get pure extracts such as:
Pilsner
Amber
Vienna
Munich
I know that there are mixes such as 50/50 Pilsner/Munich but I want the pure stuff.

I did extract for nearly a year and looked all over for some non-blended extracts and really couldn't find any, it seemed everything was a blend. I'd read that Weyermann does a 100% munich extract but could never find any Weyermann extracts here in the States. Maybe I just didn't search good enough?

In regard to taste and color, you can certainly get close taste wise but color will always stray from the extract versions in AG. In AG if you make a beer with the same gravity as extract it will typically be lighter in color. Extracts, in my use, always came out darker and it's a pretty well known given. Of course with AG you could always alter the color with very slight additions of malts that have dark SRM's to get it darker if you wanted.

I know you said you're stuck with extract for now, but I just wanted to say the limits of available extracts are exactly what pushed me to AG. And I'll say I'm oh so happy I made the switch. Not putting extract brewing down, I made so many awesome beers and it's a ton of fun, but there are a lot of limits with it.

By the way, Amber extract is made up of 2-row, Munich, and Caramel 60 so there wouldn't be any "pure amber" as it's a style not an individual grain. You can however steep caramel 60 within your extract recipe. And for Pilsen I believe Northern's LME is 100% Pilsner malt, but you'd have to double check.

Rev.

Back