Breiss Extra Special Dark LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aiptasia

Reaction score
I came across some cans of Breiss Extra Special Dark LME at our local brewshop the other day, and picked them up in anticipation of brewing a darker beer. Since then, i've been looking for a .pdf or data sheet about this LME so that I can create a new ingredient for it in beersmith 2.

The only things I can find on it are that it's 90 deg. lovibond (from the label). Even the breiss website has nothing on it. They have traditional dark, but nothing for extra special dark.

Is it so new that it hasn't even hit their website yet? Does that even make sense?

For just this reason, I've always gone with the advice to use light extract as a base and then use steeped specialty grains to style as needed.

It's gonna be interesting to see how this beer turns out. I *may* opt for using half of a lighter LME and half of the special dark and see how that goes if I can't find a data sheet on it. I don't want the beer to taste like burnt pitch.

I would expect the actual content of Extra Special malt in the total malt bill for the Extra Special Extract would be relatively low but it's really hard to say. Have you tried contacting Briess directly? Without any additional info, I'd try 10% ESD LME and 90% light LME on a small sample batch and adjust as needed.

Back