Using Oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just got a oxygen setup with a .5 micron airstone from AHS. I was a little bummed to find that the regulator has no liter flow marks. :confused: I know Jamil recommends flowing it 1L for 1 minute. Since I don't have a flow meter can anyone give some tips on how best to use it??? Thanks. Al

yeah, you crank it open ALL the way and count "1,001-1,002- etc." Or just look at a clock. :D

Unfortunately these regulators we use in brewing are pretty cheap, they really only work when they are cranked wide open. I just stick it in, turn it on and let it go, though I run 2 minutes.

They are cheap for sure. With mine if I crank it all the way I get too much foam so I dial it back a bit. It's so hit or miss that I tend to not use it very much anymore and try to stick with dry yeast so I can leave the Oxygen in the closet.

They are cheap for sure. With mine if I crank it all the way I get too much foam so I dial it back a bit. It's so hit or miss that I tend to not use it very much anymore and try to stick with dry yeast so I can leave the Oxygen in the closet.

Well I am brewing with some S-05 I have laying around......does that mean I don't need to worry about oxygenating my wort??:confused:

I never add Oxygen with dry yeast. The wort splashes into the fermenter and that is it. The dry yeast is made to work well with just rehydration. If you pitch it dry they suggest aerating the wort, but I still don't bother with the stone & oxy tank.

I always use O2, no matter what - dry, liquid, or repitch.

I just barely open the regulator until it starts to flow and then dial it back so it's just flowing. I let it go for about a minute or so, not very precisely timed. I like to end up with an good amount of bubbles all over the surface of the beer.

I don't know if I'd buy the O2 again, but now that I have the setup, it's a lot easier than pouring the wort back and forth a few times - no lifting!

Back