Micro brewery turnaround time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to see if anyone out there knows how microbreweries get such a quick turnaround time. What I mean by turnaround time is the time it takes from brew day to the day they begin serving it. I was talking to a brewmaster at a microbrewery a few months back and he said it took about three weeks or less for a typical batch. WOW!! That's pretty quick!! Even the quick beers I do, usually hefewiezens or light ales, takes more than 3 weeks to get good. 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary and 1 week in keg at serving pressure is the method I've used for some of the "faster" beers I've made. These guys are serving the beer three weeks out and it's damn near perfect. In general none of my beers get as good as the microbrewery beers until about 6 weeks turnaround time.

So.... Does it have to do with batch size? Do they add agents to clear it up and make it "drinkable" faster?

Hope someone has some insight.

Thanks

It has nothing to do with batch size, because lots of homebrewers can do it too.

It has to do with:

1. Proper pitching rate (~1 million cells per ml per degree plato).
2. Precise temperature control

A lot of pubs don't filter or fine, though a lot do. It isn't necessary to have finished beer in 3 weeks unless you have a really powdery yeast.

The only reason beer wouldn't be drinkable (15 plato and under) in 3 weeks is that it has an off flavor. Brew it without the off flavor and you can drink it sooner.

Remilard is right on target. The only other thing that is important to point out (though it sort of falls under temperature control) is cold crashing. Most micros will drop their beer down to 32F-35F after fermentation is complete. This helps the yeast fall out of the beer much, much faster than if you waited for normal flocculation & saves probable 2 or 3 days. For a micro, that's a huge deal because they can then get another beer in the fermenter 3 days faster & this might increase their capacity by 20-25%.

I recently brewed Jamil's Evil Twin recipe, and was blown away how "ready" it was in less than 3 weeks. I sampled it after a day on the gas @ 30psi and saw no reason not to drink away. Since then it changed a bit and got better or maybe just different but was in no way not ready early on.

So I heartily agree with posts above and add that the proper recipe formulation is a big factor as well.

Only beer I have brewed that was great so fast.

I have developed a few recipes that are all 1044 or under. All use WLP001 with a 1L starter on a stir plate for two days. I ferment slightly cool at 66 degrees. The recipes that are not dry hopped are racked after 6 days of fermentation usually. The ones that are dry hopped go 4-5 days, then are dry hopped for 5 days. I use the set it and forget it method of keg carbing and put it on the gas at 12psi for one week. Grain to glass in 13 or 17 days.

As stated above, pitch a lot of healthy yeast and control your temps, and the turnaround time is pretty fast.

Eric

I think fermentation temperature is one of the important aspects. Ever since I've started using ice baths, I've noticed all my beers have gotten a much cleaner profile. I also cold crash all my pale ales before I keg them, which I think adds to clarity but not as much taste profile as fermentation temperature.

Another variable to add to the mix is the actual yeast strain combined with temperature controls. At the brewery I worked at some batches were finished fermenting within three days. Transfer to conditioning for a another couple of days. Filter then carbonate over night and you have a beer in your glass in just over a week.

Now... that is an EXTREME simplification but certainly within the realm of possibilities. I don't think we ever did that because the hold up was at the packaging end of things. Maybe not a bright beer tank available or ready, or not enough kegs or bottles ready to go. There is always something.

But, yes, it can be done much faster than homebrewing and they'll find a way because it is much more dependent on financial matters.

Back