Well this is just BS!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begin2Brew

Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the last few months I have stopped on the way home from work on Friday to stop and pick up a few craft/micro brews. Today I stop and get a Belgian Tripple, Pilsner and an amber ale. None of them make the grade!

I was really hoping for these to be good but each one of them are sweet and the tripple has a very medicinal aftertaste.

I have made three batches that have been bottled and drank and each one has been better then any commercial beer I have had. I am not sure if this is just because these are my brews or what but I am very close to saying the hell with purchasing any more beer and just MAKE MY OWN DAMN BEER!

Anyone else feel this way?

What beers did you buy?

Allagash Triple Ale - Sweet, medicinal after taste
Crown Valley Old School Pilsner - malty but no hops at all, slightly sweet
Dark Horse Amber Ale - Astringent aroma, very slightly sweet, very little hops

Now I am no where near being a hop head (no offense to any hop heads), but all three of these leave me feeling like they are big beers that just haven't grown up yet.

I have brewed an Amber Altbier, American Lager, and a milk chocolate stout, each of these I would take hands down over most, if not all, of the craft/micro brews I have had recently.

I haven't had any of the beers you listed, but craft beers tend to vary a lot in quality depending on the brewery, their age, and how they were treated by the distributor and retailer. But a well-brewed homebrew should always stack up well compared to the best commercial examples out there.

I've noticed that I've gotten a lot more picky and critical about commercial beers I pick up since I've been homebrewing.

I've noticed that I've gotten a lot more picky and critical about commercial beers I pick up since I've been homebrewing.

You know, you have a point here. The BMC brews are geared more towards pleasing as many palates as possible. On the other hand the craft/micro brews have more taste but they might not be the taste certain individuals want.

Now I am no where near being a hop head (no offense to any hop heads)

No offense taken

I have brewed an Amber Altbier, American Lager, and a milk chocolate stout, each of these I would take hands down over most, if not all, of the craft/micro brews I have had recently.

If you are brewing the best beer in the world then why would you even bother tasting other styles? I'd say just keep making what you like and screw all the other beers.rdwhahb

Seeing as you're from Antioch, IL, I'd recommend Bell's, Bear Republic, anything from Three Floyd's and maybe some Flying Dog if the IL distributer carries it.

I only buy beer at restaurants and extremely rare occasions that I want to try something in particular.

Pretty much the same for me. I've been brewing for a few years and since I started I think I have purchased one 6-pack and a couple of singles for at home consumption. All other purchases have been restaurants / bars / on travel.

I brew the beers I like, and I can generally keep up with demand.

Begin2Brew said:
I am very close to saying the hell with purchasing any more beer and just MAKE MY OWN DAMN BEER!

Damn the man! Just do it bro. You'll get to brew more often and you'll be more able to design beers to suite your pallet.

Back