Questions on first Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagbardceline

Reaction score
I want to steep some flaked oats in my next batch.

From what I understand they need to be steeped with munich to convert the starch to sugar.

I was planning on a half pound of each. Is that ratio ok? Or do I need more munich than flaked oats?

I am planning on mashing them in muslin bag. Add them to a half gallon of 150 degree water. Bring that up to 154 and let that sit for 30 minutes. Drain the bag and sparge with 170 degree water.

Do I gain anything by doing this in a separate kettle then adding to the main boil kettle or should I just do it all in the boil kettle?

Should I figure out the correct strike temp so the grains are at 154 right way?

Is 154 where I should do the rest? Do I want to try to do a multirest mash at 104 - 140 - 158?

Thanks

You want to use grains with good diastatic power like base malts (2 row). These malts have the ability to convert starches to sugar. Just hold your mini mash to 150 to 154 for 1/2 hour or more and then drain and sparge as normal.

Read up at www.howtobrew.com about malting and mashing.

So I should not be using munich or use something else in addition to munich?

Also my water pH tests at 7.4

Do I need to bring it down to 5.2 for a partial mash?

If I PM, I tend to use some base malt like 2 row to ensure I get conversion. If I am using grains that can be steeped, then I just steep them without anything else. I believe that Munich acts like a base malt.

Use 1/2 lb of 2-row, instead. Munich can convert itself, but can't manage other grains.

cool. i picked up 2 row today.

in regards to pH reading about five star 5.2 buffer it sounds like i can add this and it will make my water 5.2 even after the addition of the specialty grains? Sounds like an easy solution but kinda sounds like magic?

Back