Looking to make a ginger lemon beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisluggo

Reaction score
I am looking to make a partial mash, 5 gallon batch (3 gallon boil volume) with kind of a bland ale as a base, with steeped ginger and lemon flavors.

What would be a good, neutral ale recipe (I don't have beer smith or other conversion software)?

I would really like to use my wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale (though I won't be fermenting at a high temp)

If am adding lemon rind and ginger, would I do that during the boil or while in fermentation?

I found a cream ale recipe that will work for my brewing set up. I want to add the lemon and ginger flavors, but advice on when I should add the ginger and lemon rind would be helpful.

First of all less is more when it comes to ginger and citrus. If you have not ever brewed with lemon only shave, and I mean shave the yellow off the rind. Do not get any of the white. I have used ginger before. You will be surprised how little you need. If this is a recipe you plan on brewing again I would start out on the light side then add more next time if you need. I add at the end of the boil. You really only need to steep them so after the boil let it set 30 min as you would with 0 min hop addition.
3726 would be great. When anyone brings up this strain they always say it conks out. I dont think this is true. It just takes time to finish. Throw in some wheat malt and give it some nice carbonation to bring out the citrus. Just my $.02. Brew on!

Thank you for the suggestion about the ginger piece; I was planning on using an oz or two of ginger root cut into slices. Think that is too much?

When I made my ginger peach wheat I believe I only used 0.5 to 1.0 oz of ginger per 5 gal batch. Ginger is potent.

Look at some of the recipes here that have ginger or lemon/orange zest. See what was working.

Back