Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disney7

Reaction score
Next weekend I'm planning to brew a batch and use liquid yeast for the first time. It is a heavy (1.100 OG) beer so I am going to make a starter today or tomorrow, then after 36 hours I'll cold crash it until I brew on Saturday.

I'll be using a sterilized container and foil to store the starter, but I'm a little worried about contamination from it sitting around until brew day. Should I be ok with the alum. foil loose on the container (to let oxygen in) and just remove and pour it in the wort, or should I try to sterilize the outside of the container again before I pour it out?

There is also the issue that I'll be decanting when I remove the starter from the fridge and then letting it sit out for several hours to warm up. I figured if nothing else I'd use a freshly sterilized piece of foil.

Also, I'm planning on using a stir plate, if I can get it built tonight. Will I be able to tell if the yeast are active when using a stir plate?

Any suggestions?

after i decant a starter i cover it with sanitized foil, let it come to temp while i brew, then pitch. if you're using a stir plate, you'll definitely see activity. if not, just gently swirl the starter each time you walk by, and you'll see activity doing that too.

after i decant a starter i cover it with sanitized foil, let it come to temp while i brew, then pitch. if you're using a stir plate, you'll definitely see activity. if not, just gently swirl the starter each time you walk by, and you'll see activity doing that too.

What am I looking for? CO2 release or foaming?

it'll foam. if you do the shaking thing, it can really foam up. on a stir plate, it'll get a nice ring and froth once it starts fermenting. don't airlock the starter, use sanitized foil on top so the starter can breathe as it ferments, this'll allow maximum cell growth.

If your worried about the outside of the container or the mouth of it being sterile, you can just wipe it down with some really cheap vodka right before you pour your starter out. It has worked well for me, never an infection. It is tasteless and odorless so you can use it on anything really without it "contaminating" your beer. I put mine in a cheap spray bottle and give a quick spray and wipe to things I use post boil. Hope it helps!

If your worried about the outside of the container or the mouth of it being sterile, you can just wipe it down with some really cheap vodka right before you pour your starter out. It has worked well for me, never an infection. It is tasteless and odorless so you can use it on anything really without it "contaminating" your beer. I put mine in a cheap spray bottle and give a quick spray and wipe to things I use post boil. Hope it helps!

Also if your container is glass, you can flame the top with a lighter (or a blowtorch :D )

Just something to think about, but with an OG that high I think you will need to make a really big starter or step it up several times.

MrMalty says I need a 1.2 liter starter with two vials of yeast when using a stir plate. Sound about right?

So far the stir plate is working. We'll see if it can hold up for 36 hours.

MrMalty says I need a 1.2 liter starter with two vials of yeast when using a stir plate. Sound about right?

Sounds about right assuming the yeast was fresh. I got 2 packs in 1.08 L on a stir plate for a 5 gal batch at 1.100 OG using the MrMalty app.

Not sure but I believe you can also do one vial and do a step if you have the time. Let the starter finish out, cold crash, pour off the beer on top, the add another dose of wort and repeat.

Well, the stir plate is still going after 10 hours and I have it in my ferment chamber at 70 degrees. Can't really tell anything is happening. I turned the stir plate off and I don't see any bubbles. There is a very, very slight scum in the there that wasn't before... not foam, just kind of looks like someone spit in it ;)

It is White Labs yeast that was bottled 2 weeks ago.

Should I be worried?

no, starters generally aren't very active. try giving it a little swirl, just enough to kick the yeast up off the bottom. it should foam a bit then. really what you're looking for is a developing layer of yeast building up on the bottom of the starter flask.

Opened up the ferment chamber at about 20 hours and it smells like beer in there now. So I take that as a good sign. Plus the yeast bits are looking chunkier and more plentiful. I may turn the stir plate off in a bit and see what I have after it settles.

I usually let my stir plate run for 24 hours, then let it set for 12 hours before cold crashing. Then I I want to step it up I will decant the starter liquid and repeat.

Back