Adding LME to Water Prior to Heating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apulver

Reaction score
Okay so I'm moving to full boils... likely with a 6 gallon final yield.

I was reading this article (see #3)...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/10-tips-better-extract-brewing-100861/

...and noticed that one of the reccomendations for a liquid malt extract brew is to turn off the burner while the LME is being stirred in. This got me thinking... is there any reason why I could not add the LME before the propane burner is lit?

The idea would be this:
(1) Steep specialty grain in small batch of water
(2) Add 5-6 gallons of water to boil kettle
(3) Add water from specialty grain steeping
(4) Stir in LME
(5) Start propane burner, begin boil

Any problems with this? It seems it would avoid the carmelization issues discussed in the article...

as long as the water was warm enough to allow the extract to dissolve, i don't see why you couldn't. when i was brewing all extract, i'd steep at 155, add water and extract, then turn the heat on. the wort was not very warm after adding a lot of room temp water to a few qts of 155 water.

I like adding the LME when it's already pretty hot because it it allows it to disolve quickly and I can put hot water in the can/jug and it helps disolve the LME that is stuck to the container. My understanding of removing it from the burner was to prevent the LME from dropping to the bottom and scorching. I just pull my pot off the burner and add the LME and back on the burner it goes... To each his own though...

My understanding of removing it from the burner was to prevent the LME from dropping to the bottom and scorching.

I'm using a false bottom... Wonder if this will discourage scorching by slowing some the LME from dropping to the bottom (and giving me more time to stir it in)?

Back