Huge krauzen, no blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgod4520

Reaction score
I pitched a vial of WLP001 in a CDA yesterday evening, and I woke up to krausen bubbling up through the airlock. I have one of those twin bubble types on the carboy right now, and so far it seems to be bubbling out the top without too much resistance, but what I really want to avoid is "mopping the ceiling" which I read about in some older threads. I have another airlock, so should I just keep switching the two of them to keep them from clogging, or do I need to go buy a blowoff tube? Is there a risk of infection with an airlock full of wort?

If you have a piece of tubing, you could very easily make a blowoff tube. Or if you don't have any tubing, if you are using a bucket, you could also un-snap the lid and loosely place it on top of the bucket, then place the bucket into a bigger tub to collect any overflow. If it's in a carboy, remove the airlock and loosely place some tinfoil over the opening, and place the carboy into a tub to collect overflow.

Back