Need recipe thoughts...left over ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckymic

Reaction score
Due to a home invasion (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/mice-ate-my-beer-247275/ for more info) I have a few left over ingredients from AHS Promo Golden Palisade IPA: 9lbs of extra pale LME, 1oz Palisade hops, White Labs California Ale (WLP001) yeast. I'd like to get some of your thoughts on grains and additions of other hops for a recipe (just want to brew something up and not spend a ton of moeny). I've never picked out grains or hops from the LHBS so not sure what or how much to get. Cheers :mug:

if you want to salvage your current ingredients and make an IPA close to style, buy 8 oz of caramel 20 to steep for 30 minutes at 150 degrees or so before you boil. this will add a slight caramel color to your finished product and add a tiny characteristic sweetness from it since the yeast won't consume all of the sugars. not necessary, but if you add 4 oz of rye malt in the steep as well it will add a really interesting flavor to it and will help with head retention. i ran the numbers:

original gravity- 1070
final gravity- 1017
abv- 7% (strap on those boots!)

you're missing hops on this one. you should probably buy another oz for bittering and maybe an oz or two of aromas for dryhopping etc. otherwise it will be malt heavy and will not have the balance i'd want.

also since you're using liquid malt extract, while you're slightly low on a typical IPA color, if you put the LME in at the beginning of the boil and let it boil straight through for an hour, you'll get your wort much darker and that will fit in with the SRM of your style.

tell us how it goes.

Well I got impatient and ran down to the LHBS and picked up 1lb of Cyrstal 40L, 1oz Amirllio, 2oz Cascade before I saw the previous post. Any suggestions on time/amount of the hop additions?

Luckymic said:
Well I got impatient and ran down to the LHBS and picked up 1lb of Cyrstal 40L, 1oz Amirllio, 2oz Cascade before I saw the previous post. Any suggestions on time/amount of the hop additions?

Use a handful less than half of that caramel. 40 will make a darker beer. I would use both cascades upfront at the boil and add a portion of the palisades and amarillo every 5 minutes from 30 minutes to flameout. That'll make a crazy aroma and will add an extra dynamic of hop punch to your bitterness.

Use a handful less than half of that caramel. 40 will make a darker beer.
You mean the Crystal right?
So your saying 2oz Cascade all day from the start of the boil till the end (1 hour).
Then I'll start adding the rest of the hops 1/4 once at a time in lets say 5 min incriments after 30 min till the end of the boil. Anyone got any estimated specific gravity numbers on that?

Back