BIAB questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee

Reaction score
I just got a 15.5 gallon pot and I was wondering - can I do a double batch - 10 gallon final wort volume - in this pot?

Also how do you keep the wort at the proper temp while mashing. Is stirring sufficient?

I'm not used to the larger numbers, but it looks like you should be able to get that done. If you check the BIAB Forums in my sig below, there is a calculator on that site that can tell you for sure.

As far as maintaining temperature, stirring could cool the wort. A few BIAB Aussies say that stirring is unnecessary. I would think that at that larger volume though, you'll be fine with holding your temp. A lot of people will cover their kettle with a thick blanket or some other sort of insulator during the mash, but I think they do this more so with smaller setups (like mine).

Are you using the pot for mashing or boil? For boil, absolutely. For mashing, probably on most grain bills. But some may test you. I wound up getting a 70 quart cooler just so I could handle 10 gallons of double IPA.

now... you asked half of the question.. you asked if you could do 10 gallon BIAB batches in a 15.5 gallon keggle.. the other half of the question is.. can I life that heavy grain bag once I get done mashing.. the answer is depends on how much weight you can lift or if you have winch setup. Personally, I'm limiting myself to 5 gallon BIAB. Once I join the 10 gallon club it'll be with a MLT

For a 10 gallon batch, you're looking at around 20lb of grain. That ends up being 40-50lb of scalding hot grain and liquid when you first try to pull it out. When I did a 5 gallon, 19lb grain bill barley wine, I scooped out ~1/3 into a paint strainer before taking out the whole bag. It was a bit of a pain dealing with multiple bags and trying to squeeze out the extra liquid when the bag is so full, but I think I'll keep using it for the occasional brew with a large grain bill.

For a 10 gallon batch, you're looking at around 20lb of grain. That ends up being 40-50lb of scalding hot grain and liquid when you first try to pull it out.

Correct, and that's for an average beer.

When you brew a bigger beer such as an IPA, you'll easily double these figures. 30 to 40 pounds of grain and up to 100 pounds of grain/water weight when lifting the bag.

Back