1958 Dalex Beer Engine Restoration Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coog_Brew

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm a relatively new brewer and have been a lurker here for a while. My wife recently went re-sell shopping and picked me up a an awesome item knowing that I'm getting more and more into homebrewing. She found a duel tap Dalex beer engine with Blue Willow tap design from England.

The taps say 1958 so I assume the entire engine originated in 1958 but I have no way to tell. I have posted several pictures of the whole engine so you can all see what I'm working with. I hope to be able to restore the whole engine to pull cask ale from it in the near future. The only problem is that I'm very inexperienced with this type of stuff and have found only a small amount of stuff on the web regarding how to build a beer engine.

The current engine only contains the tap and handle and part of the lever underneath the handle from what I can tell. I know I need the tubing and piston but I would have no idea where to get this or hook this up if I had the materials. If any of you can help me in any way or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/dwm82000/Beer Engine/photo4-2.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/dwm82000/Beer Engine/photo5.jpg

It's an old beer engine used for cask ale. I just need to find out where to get and how to hook up the cylinders and pistons that actually pump the beer up through the spigots.

I guess the best website I've found that might be able to help me is UK Brewing. This looks close to what I need to do but I'll have to contact them for some help.

http://www.ukbrewing.com/images/CM_spec.jpg

well after soem searching, i came across some information as well.
looks like alot of people are comparing beer engines to angrams. which i had some trouble locating as well.
here is a site that sells them new (guessing they might have some parts as well? or maybe an idea of where to get the parts, UK however)
http://www.ukbrewing.com/pump2FR.htm
found this as well
http://www.gotham-imbiber.com/
and here
https://www.kegman.net/beer_engine.html

everything i'm finding is pointing me to the ukbrewing site though

HTH!

/edit, good searchin, tex! :)

Thanks for the links. I'm going to send UK Brewing an e-mail and see what I can find out. It looks like they're located in Pennsylvania instead of the UK and just have the name because they deal in British pub equipment, so that will save on shipping.

I also just found an antique Dalex Beer Engine. How's your restoration going? I'm considering the purchase of this as well and doing the same thing...

Dalex Beer Engine 1.jpg

Dalex Beer Engine 2.jpg

My restoration is going slow. I haven't been able to locate the cylinders for a reasonable price. The one you are considering seems to have everything you need to pump beer as long as it's working properly. After a good cleaning, I'm sure you'll be more than happy with your purchase.

A local bar near me just did a similar restoration with some new cylinders and all, so I plan on getting some advice from them. Let us know how yours works out.

I picked up a pair of Gaskell & Chambers Dalex Cylinder beer engines.
Patent # 259283, man. aprox. 1950? (Any info would be appreciated).
Cork washers replaced with Teflon;
Completely refurbished;
Ready for installation;
Sat in a box in the basement of about 5 homes since they were acquired in early 80's. :eek:
Now I plan to sell them or trade them for a stainless steel conical base fermenting tank/vessel or, if they don't go, I shall install them at home.
One reason I haven't used them all these years is that I never consumed enough beer to warrant an "Air In" cask delivery system (not wanting air-born contamination, of course); and, thinking that CO2 back pressure would push the beer through the cylinder flaps.
Now I am using Ball-Lock Cornelius Kegs, with CO2 back pressure around 5 to 7 psi. and it occurs to me that if I use taps that can be turned off and use a CO2 bottle, regulated to about 0 or 1 psi as a reserve back pressure I might be able to use the cylinder pumps.
If they don't sell or trade, I think I shall experiment with a CO2 bottle and see if it works with a small reserve pressure.

Has anyone tried something like that?

I haven't, but I am intrigued.

I have a 1932 Dalex beer engine that was working fine until recently (someone was too rough with it at a party). I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, or even deciding what to do, so I am interested to hear about your restoration. Aside from the washer, what did you have to do to restore them? Any pics?

The refurbishing job was actually performed by a senior toolshop mechanic, many years ago.
He glass bead blasted the brass, and replaced the cork washers with teflon.
He also built me a pair of upper engine rod support brackets (with bearings);
and made a pair of connecting rods and assembly parts, that were missing from one of the engine kits, to closely imitate the ones I had.
He did a very nice job!
All I had asked for was a pair of connecting rods to match the pair I had.
He did all of it and refused any payment.
I think I bought him a bottle of single malt Scotch.
... Any pics?

imgp1201-59281.jpg

imgp1200-59282.jpg

imgp1210-59283.jpg

I lent one of the taps to someone who never returned it. :-(
I do not remember who borrowed it. :-(

Can you provide photos? My husband just purchased beer engine that needs lots of loving restoration. He may be interested.
I picked up a pair of Gaskell & Chambers Dalex Cylinder beer engines.
Patent # 259283, man. aprox. 1950? (Any info would be appreciated).
Cork washers replaced with Teflon;
Completely refurbished;
Ready for installation;
Sat in a box in the basement of about 5 homes since they were acquired in early 80's. :eek:
Now I plan to sell them or trade them for a stainless steel conical base fermenting tank/vessel or, if they don't go, I shall install them at home.
One reason I haven't used them all these years is that I never consumed enough beer to warrant an "Air In" cask delivery system (not wanting air-born contamination, of course); and, thinking that CO2 back pressure would push the beer through the cylinder flaps.
Now I am using Ball-Lock Cornelius Kegs, with CO2 back pressure around 5 to 7 psi. and it occurs to me that if I use taps that can be turned off and use a CO2 bottle, regulated to about 0 or 1 psi as a reserve back pressure I might be able to use the cylinder pumps.
If they don't sell or trade, I think I shall experiment with a CO2 bottle and see if it works with a small reserve pressure.

Do you still have this beer engine? Just bought one for my husband and trying to find information for restoration? Can you help?

Hello All,

I'm a relatively new brewer and have been a lurker here for a while. My wife recently went re-sell shopping and picked me up a an awesome item knowing that I'm getting more and more into homebrewing. She found a duel tap Dalex beer engine with Blue Willow tap design from England.

The taps say 1958 so I assume the entire engine originated in 1958 but I have no way to tell. I have posted several pictures of the whole engine so you can all see what I'm working with. I hope to be able to restore the whole engine to pull cask ale from it in the near future. The only problem is that I'm very inexperienced with this type of stuff and have found only a small amount of stuff on the web regarding how to build a beer engine.

The current engine only contains the tap and handle and part of the lever underneath the handle from what I can tell. I know I need the tubing and piston but I would have no idea where to get this or hook this up if I had the materials. If any of you can help me in any way or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/dwm82000/Beer Engine/photo4-2.jpg

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv288/dwm82000/Beer Engine/photo5.jpg

I just picked up this 1961 Gaskell and Chambers beer engine. Its missing the nozzles and the beer line nuts and tail pieces. Was wondering if anyone has tracked them down.

IMG_0628.jpg

The only other issue I see is one of the faucet shutoff valve handles is broken. I can feel air movement with one of the pumps but not the other.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back