Citrus Wheat Recipe Critique and Yeast Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I brewed this one up just a few minutes ago, and it is currently cooling in a water bath.

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/18/2010
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: CP
Boil Size: 7.58 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
5.00 lb Soft Red Wheat (3.0 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.9 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [18.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
Rind from 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 1 grapefruit and 2 limes added to boil at 5 minutes.

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.74 %
Bitterness: 21.6 IBU
Est Color: 4.8 SRM

Mash Profile
151 degrees for 60 minutes

My plan was to pitch nottingham and ferment long and cool, 55-60 degrees for 3 weeks and then bottle. Do you think this will yield a nice drinkable result? I know that wheat yeast or at the very least US-05 is more traditional for an american wheat ale, but at my disposal right now is kolsch yeast and nottingham. I am hoping that all the citrus rind will play nicely with the citrusy summit aroma hops.

Suggestions.....comments

The Nottingham should be fine. At those temps it should ferment cleanly.

Ambient is 58 degrees and the fermenter is 66 degrees right now. I think it will be perfect. Nottingham is a fine line with temp. Too cold and you get an off tartness, to warm and it is undrinkable. I like where I am sitting at 66 right now, as soon as the primary starts to wind down I am going to move it to a room with 66 ambient to finish.

The fermentation stayed at around 66 degress for 4 days and when the ferementation wound down and the fermenter dropped down to 64 degrees I moved into another room that is 68 ambient to finish up. I took a reading today and I am at 1.009...PERFECTO! I really like nottingham ale yeast.

I am just hoping I didn't put too much citrus rind in..

Back