Oxiclean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
So this oxiclean that you guys use to clean your kegs, bottles, equipment. Is this the same stuff billy mays sold? In the tub that says "versitile" on it? I will buy some at kmart if that's the case, its $10 a big tub. What about oxiclean free?

Man, I waited months for the opportunity to post this...and now he'd dead. *sigh*

oxyclean.jpg

Go for Oxiclean free. I use it for everything and it does a great job. Whether it be better bottles, fermentors or kegs and lines. Just make sure you give everything a good rinse after using it.

yep, get the oxyclean free. no perfumes or any of that crap in the 'free'. works like a charm.

Thanks for the quick advice guys. I was at the store mobile and I got the Oxy free. I heard regular makes your clothes smell funny, I didn't want that in my beer

I lol'd at the store about that picture.

SWMBO was like "Just buy it and ask later" but I figure, if I have the resources to ask that moment, I am going to! This stuff is way cheaper than the cleaner my LHBS tries to sell me.

I got sad when I saw the Billy Mays picture though :(

I've used OxiClean Free and OxiClean Baby...A lot more suds in Free, I recommend OxiClean Baby, (I've only seen it at Babies R' Us).

I just use the $1/lb SUN brand Oxygen Cleaner... I can get it at Walmart down the street.

Really, these oxygen cleaners are absolutely superstars when it comes to cleaning.

The only product that I use that is sold for bewing specifically is Star San... but I have been on the same 32 oz. bottle for about 3 years now.

If you can find it, I recommend Oxoclean - it's made by a small company but is free of everything aside from the chemicals necessary to make this type of cleaner work. It's a bit more expensive, but it works insanely well, and it can be dumped into a septic line/drain.

I use PBW for most cleaning- Oxi-Clean doesn't play well with our tap water, and will leave a film on glass. I use Oxi-Clean for the occasional bucket soak. PBW is more expensive, but I don't use enough to care.

Billy Mays coked up? I would never have guessed it :p

Anyway yeah oxyclean is the best for cleaning gunk off of stuff. I top my carboys up with hot water and dump in half a scoop. It dissolves the hell out of everything. Then follow up with a thorough wash and a splash of starsan and you're g2g.

It's tha **** for removing lables, just fill the sink/tub w/hot water and a scoop and left em sit for a few hours.

Is the Oxiclean Free easily available at like Walmart, Walgreens, etc...? In the Green Bay area. I think I may need some to clean 4 cases of old bottles I just received.

OxyClean Tips:

Read directions...
Low OxyClean to water and soak longer...
Wash with cool water....
Rinse with Hot Water makes sense to me....

... later when sanitizeing I use Hot StarSan just to be sure no residue remains..,

What solution do you guys use when you're cleaning the labels off of bottles? I'll be soaking in a utility sink in the basement but I'm not sure how much is needed or how much is too much.

GrandpaZeb said:
What solution do you guys use when you're cleaning the labels off of bottles? I'll be soaking in a utility sink in the basement but I'm not sure how much is needed or how much is too much.

I do 1 scoop for about 5 gal and most of the labels fall off after about an hour.. not all labels are equal and the ones that don't come off after a hour I just scratch with a scrubby to get the oxi in and soak a little longer!!

I use maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of the scoop that comes in the tub for a 5-gallon bucket of water. You don't need very much.

And I've never had any issues with the regular Oxi-Clean. If you rinse it well, you shouldn't have to worry about any chemical residue.

Man, I do hate the bottling process though.... But once I had enough beers in the pipleine, I subsequently had more de-labeled bottles in the pipeline. My last batch was the the first time I didn't need to de-label bottles.

OxiClean leaves a film in everything, that even a pressure washer won't remove. I did clean one with a washcloth wrapped carboy brush but it took forever. I ended up replacing them and took the filmed ones and made water dispensers for the bee hives. A pressure washer and star san are all you need. If you don't have a pressure washer take em to a "quarter car-wash" and clean them

certaut said:
OxiClean leaves a film in everything, that even a pressure washer won't remove. I did clean one with a washcloth wrapped carboy brush but it took forever. I ended up replacing them and took the filmed ones and made water dispensers for the bee hives. A pressure washer and star san are all you need. If you don't have a pressure washer take em to a "quarter car-wash" and clean them

I've only ever got that film that doesn't come off easily when the bottles soaked over a weekend!! I don't see the propose of going over an hour soak only for the few stubborn labels!!

I've only ever got that film that doesn't come off easily when the bottles soaked over a weekend!! I don't see the propose of going over an hour soak only for the few stubborn labels!!

Only issue I've had with film is when I use it with my tap water - unfortunately. Very hard water where I live. I usually just run a 5-gallon bucket up to the store and fill with RO. I have to do the same for half my brewing water.....:(

I've soaked my bottles for a week in oxi clean. Rinsed well with garden hose and saw no film. Used them with no ill effects. Not sure what this film is that you guys are talking about. Maybe its a water problem and not an oxi clean problem.

Okay. I used a full scoop for the full utility sink and I was able to de-label ~125 bottles in three hours. That's including letting them sit for 30 minutes before I tried starting to get any labels off. I was able to fit almost 70 bottles in the sink and many of the labels came off after the first 30 minute soak. Those that didn't I left in there and filled the sink up with more bottles needing to be nekkid. After another 30 minute soak I went down and started the cycle again. I repeated this until I realized that my bottle tree was full and I still had 30 bottles left to rinse.

Also, I had no film whatsoever. All my bottles were squeaky clean after I rinsed them.

Go for Oxiclean free. I use it for everything and it does a great job. Whether it be better bottles, fermentors or kegs and lines. Just make sure you give everything a good rinse after using it.

And this is just as a "cleaner" not "sanitizer", correct? If I can use for both, I will b/c Oxi Clean is incredibly reasonable compared to sanitizers. I just picked up a 3 lb. tub of Oxi Clean Free (green lid) for just under $8 at Walmart.

And this is just as a "cleaner" not "sanitizer", correct? If I can use for both, I will b/c Oxi Clean is incredibly reasonable compared to sanitizers. I just picked up a 3 lb. tub of Oxi Clean Free (green lid) for just under $8 at Walmart.

Right its a cleaner, a cleaner that often needs a lot of rinsing.
I still use some PBW , but oxyclean for day to day because its cheap and often good enough.
You still need to sanitize. Starsan and iodophor are both very reasonbale because they are both concentrates and make a LOT of sanitizer.

I dressed up as Billy for Halloween the year he died.

Just bought the Oxy free yesterday to clean some kegs. I found it at Walmart. It had a green top.

image-551834696.jpg

I've found anytime that I did get a little film, I hit it with a slightly more potent star San rinse and it seemed to clean up nice. I was told an acidic rinse like vinegar (or starsan) is just what is needed to clean up the deposits. I solely use an oxy soak to clean my fermenters and kegs- no scrubbing necessary.

For a cleaner that requires so much rinsing I just use bleach. Its cheaper and works for me since I'm rinsing thoroughly and whipping out the star-san on brew day. My 2¢.

OxyClean Tips:

Low OxyClean to water and soak longer...

I agree. I rarely even use a half-scoop, even for cleaning fermenters and kegs.

Plastic and stainless I just soak for a day or three, whenever I get to it, then I use the scrub brush to knock any krausen off the edge (not actually scrubbing, more like wiping as it completely liquefies just touching it). Then I rinse in hot water at a decent pressure either with my sink sprayer or a 1/2" hose hooked up to my shower. I don't sanitize until right before use.

Back