smoke porter clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
i recently had left hand brewings smoked porter called smoke jumper i was amazed by its great drinkability etc and instantly knew i had to brew one has anyone drank it and brewed something comparable? i am a extract based brewer that usually steeps grain

I have never had the Smoked Porter from Left Hand, but I have had Stone and Alaska's versions. I would go with your regular extract recipe for a porter and add 1-2 lbs smoked malt depending on the intensity you prefer. You could always use liquid smoke, but that stuff has a terrible aftertaste in my opinion. If you have acess to a smoker, you can smoke your own malt. I use alder and my AG brews are very similar to the Alaskan Smoked Porter.

hmm i have never brewed a porter and need a medium body with a lower IBU dont want to overwhelm it with both and keep some maltyness as well

try some marris otter malt to steep along with smoked or peated malt. peated is less intense than smoked. you can smoke your own malt if you have a grill or a smoker. i made a smoked porter once and boiled it over a big fire in my back yard. don't know if that helped, but damn i felt cool doing it!

played with beersmith for the first time heres what i have so far do i need to increase smoked grain and decrease some liquid poundage??

7lb pale lme
1lb dark lme
2lb smoked malt
1.5lb crystal 80l malt
1 lb chocolate malt
.5lb black patent
1.5 oz cascade 60 min
1.0 oz fuggles 20 min
wyeast ale blend

og 1.062
fg 1.016
20 ibu
color 44

JMHO, I would back off of the crystal 80 a little and not go overboard on the black patent. Too much black patent gets you into Stout territory, while too much crystal can overpower the smoke flavor. Go to 120L if you need the color. Marris otter is a good suggestion, but I ( personally )would not go with peated malt in anything other than a scotch ale Fuggles are my favorite hop in porters.

Just to clear a few things up, we're talking about two different commercially available smoked malts- Rauchmalt (Weyermann) is smoked with beechwood and is very pleasant and not at all overpowering, even in large amounts; peated distiller's malt is horrid stuff and really has no business in any beer, even Scotch ale. That faint peaty character comes from the yeast and the water in a Wee Heavy. I personally hate the stuff, but admit that a smidge works quite well in Old Chub.

what would you suggest scoutman? for both the patent and crystal i am not going to have my beersmith for a bit traveling would my gravities change much and the smokejumper is a fairly malty sweet beer too

I personally hate the stuff, but admit that a smidge works quite well in Old Chub.

Agreed!....

jppostKW..... I would ditch the black patent, go with .5 lbs of Chocolate and a 1 lb of light chocolate. I would start with .75 lbs of crystal 120. Again, I am only going off of my own experiences, not specifically with the Left Hand. Your gravities will only change a little bit since you are not actually mashing the grain. If anything, you will see a small increase in OG, but a littled extra :drunk: never hurt anything in my book. Brew up a batch and evaluate against your control. You could also try looking on the Left Hand website for clues to the recipe. Good Luck.

alright its in the fermenter
recipe:
6lbs of light lme
1lb of dark lme
2.25lb smoked malt
1lb light chocolate
.5 lb dark chocolate
.75lb crystal 120
1.0 oz cascade 60min
1.0 fuggles 15 min
safl-05

1.060 og
26.2 ibu
44.5 srm
5 gallon boil

at the lower end of the porter spectrum just hope the smoke comes thru posting updates as i progress definitly going to bottle this one and let it age till the next time its cold as balls outside after the intial taste test 3 weeks after secondary...oh yeah if its good i have a name for it too. Cummins N14 Smoked Porter!!

Well its in bottles and conditioned i am all and all really impressed a really drinkable beer with lots of subtle flavors that bring it around right where i wanted it to be a smoked food complimenting beer.. had a couple with a dinner of smoked pork.....fyi my dads smoker has its own trailer... grilled veggies and potatoes and it went amazingly

peated is less intense than smoked.

Gack!! NO!! Peated malt is very intense stuff, more than a few ounces would render most beers a good substitute for liquid smoke! Some would say any peated malt is too much.

I've made a few beers with regular smoked malt, and even that can be overpowering. My last porter used ~4 ounces and it has almost too much smoke taste for my preference.

Looking at the recipe posted, I can't imagine how strong 2+ lbs of that would be in any beer and I love smoked foods.

Handed out 10 to my critics i had a BMC guy who wants me to brew him another batch, he absolutly loved it!!!! He is coming over for a brew day this weekend we have another convert. Hail the HBTers!!!!!!!!!!!:rockin:

I've seen recipes that use 5+ lb of smoked malt. (Peated malt as mentioned is way too strong). How did the smoke flavor come out with 2.25 lb and the other grains?

Back