Checking Original Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I did something different. Instead of using my wine thief, I scooped a sample of chilled wort from the top of the kettle while it was draining into the carboy. This was an AG batch and I whirl pooled and let it settle before starting the run off. I was happy that I got higher than my normal efficiency, but now I’m wondering if the density of the wort might be different at different levels after it settles. The kettle was about 80% drained when I took the sample. Is this method accurate or should I go back to using the thief after shaking the carboy?

I use a sanitized spoon to stir the wort, then dip a sanitized cup in there to get my sample.
That's pretty much what I did, but I let the whirlpool settle then started draining before I thought about scooping out a sample. I stirred pretty good to get the whirlpool going. Do you think that the sugars stay in suspension?

Back