Fermcap-s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onetime

Reaction score
Is this product necessary to make good Beer or does it just make the process easier?

Are there any medical concerns with the silicone found in it?

Good Times and thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I thought it just prevented boil overs and with such a small amount, I wouldn't worry about the silicone.

No, it isn't necessary. I've only used it when boiling wort in a flask for making yeast starters. It did help a little with boil over but I still had to use a spray bottle to knock down the foam.

Yes, there are some health concerns if you use too much. The instructions that came with mine were clear on how much to use.

It's pretty damm amazing at controlling hot break boilovers. I've had a 8gal boil get sloppy in a 15gal keggle without it but using Fermcap I can boil 14gal in that same 15gal keggle without worrying

Thanks for the responses.

Truvr im guessing you just have water in the spray bottle, correct?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, just water. You are boiling so contamination shouldn't be a concern. But I've also used starsan.

FYI I use unflavored baby gas drops in my brewing (or I did when my BK was smaller...) It's cheap, and if babies can eat a few drops, then a few drops in 5 gallons shouldn't be a problem! (So the theory goes, although I have no idea what alcohol might do to the remaining portion of it during fermentation...)

There are other ways of controlling foam, but most are kind of a bother. I recommend looking into a bigger BK when you can manage to. Until then, a fan, some spray, being careful, etc. all make it possible to control boilovers without the chemicals.

I use it on starters all the time, only because I make, two liter starters in a two liter flask.

I use it all the time. In the kettle and fermenter. Supposed to be similar to gas-ex. I do 15 quart boils in a 20 quart pot and never worry about boil over; I walk away and don't watch or worry.

In the fermenter it seems to work, but some yeasts seem to ignore it.

It is my understanding that when activity stops, it drops out.

Back