Instructions on force carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjm1188

Reaction score
I've kegged two batches now, and have always used priming sugar to do it. Not a big fan of the sediment, so I'd like to move to force carbing. I've heard a lot of different methods for doing it (shaking, one day at 30psi then turned down, one week at serving pressure/temp). Does anyone have a good manual for doing this? I dont want to over or undercarbonate my next batch...

I've give you the best mentod..

Step 1: Hook the keg up as if it were already carbed - at desired serving pressure and temp.

Step 2: Wait a week and serve

I started kegging not long ago and the way I carb depends on how long I want to wait to drink or if I want to drink not quite fully carbed beer. I'll put it at 30psi or so and shake the crap out of it for a little while (10 minutes maybe?) then I'll stick it in the fridge and turn down to about 15psi....from there I'll drink my normal pint or two a night and eventually get it carbed right....if it's over carbed it's easy to release some pressure and turn it down....and vice versa..
BTW...I don't think you should be getting sediment when using the sugar...it should carb the same as bottles. The sediment would come from unsettled yeast/trub mostly. If you can crash cool before racking to the keg, you'll eliminate a huge portion of this!

Craig5_12 said:
BTW...I don't think you should be getting sediment when using the sugar...it should carb the same as bottles. The sediment would come from unsettled yeast/trub mostly. If you can crash cool before racking to the keg, you'll eliminate a huge portion of this!
The sediment is from the yeast reproducing and falling out. you can not create co2 with yeast without increasing sediment.

Back