Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave37 said:
Nope your uncle sucks regardless of his accomplishments. Just because he drinks bud light. Hahaha :smack:

Thats awesome. Id love to sail half way to another country never mind the world. Cheers.

If my sarcasm isn't easily figured out in my previous post I apologize. I'm joking of course I had a couple buds earlier today myself. Finished up the night with a 2012 bcbs.

I like to think what I type is being read in the tone in with which I'm saying it in my head as I get more inebriated. Which is a dumb assumption of course.

Cheers.

Nope your uncle sucks regardless of his accomplishments. Just because he drinks bud light. Hahaha :smack:

Thats awesome. Id love to sail half way to another country never mind the world. Cheers.

Whoa there, buddy! He's a Budweiser man. Don't ever accuse him of Bud Light! :rolleyes:

Just because I still respect Budweiser-drinking Uncle Picklenose doesn't mean he'll respect a Bud Light drinker. :rolleyes:

FatDragon said:
Whoa there, buddy! He's a Budweiser man. Don't ever accuse him of Bud Light! :rolleyes:

Just because I still respect Budweiser-drinking Uncle Picklenose doesn't mean he'll respect a Bud Light drinker. :rolleyes:

Haha fair enough. :mug:

I found the only downside when I renovated my house (southside slopes), It was pretty clear that Uncle Luddy and Jimmy and Sal from down the street did the framing and electrical (stealing names from my Slovak great aunts/uncles that grew up in the 'burgh).

On topic, there's no better place to hear funny things about beer than southside on a weekend.

My grandfather used to bring home scrap from the steel mill to use on projects around the house. He reworked some water lines in the kitchen and after that the water tasted terrible. Come to find out that the lines were used cast iron natural gas lines that were impregnated with gas. After that we started to inspect the scrap that he brought home before use.

And as for the stories, I'm not sure if the stories "about" the beer are as funny as the stories about the "people drinking said beer".

My buddy is starting to get into beer. Let him my copy of Tasting Beer and he's starting to learn. Anyway, he asked if Miller Lite is hoppier because it's "triple hops brewed". It was very hard to suppress my laughter (he is new to this stuff to be fair) and I explained how it's a marketing gimmick.

My buddy is starting to get into beer. Let him my copy of Tasting Beer and he's starting to learn. Anyway, he asked if Miller Lite is hoppier because it's "triple hops brewed". It was very hard to suppress my laughter (he is new to this stuff to be fair) and I explained how it's a marketing gimmick.

That is the #2 question when people with little to no knowledge about beer ask me upon finding out I'm a proud beer nerd. The first one of course is the famous "frost brewed Coors Light."

Our local free daily newspaper ("Metro") has an article in it today with some suggestions for keeping the pounds off during holiday drinking. The section on beer cautions against additives included by some of the bigger brewers.

You'd be surprised by the "extras" some manufacturers add to your favorite beers. Hari called individual companies to ask for ingredient lists and found that some beers contain ingredients like corn syrup and caramel coloring. Caramel coloring is known to be carcinogenic. Hari said beer manufacturers use caramel colouring to give the beers a "deep golden brown" colour that is typically achieved by using high quality hops.

I guess that's why when you want a nice, dark stout, you have to use the expensive, high-quality hops like East Kent Goldings, but if you're making a light blonde pilsener, you can use the cheap, crappy hops like Saaz.

Our local free daily newspaper ("Metro") has an article in it today with some suggestions for keeping the pounds off during holiday drinking. The section on beer cautions against additives included by some of the bigger brewers.

I guess that's why when you want a nice, dark stout, you have to use the expensive, high-quality hops like East Kent Goldings, but if you're making a light blonde pilsener, you can use the cheap, crappy hops like Saaz.

it's well-documented that "Foodbabe" is a ignorant, scaremongering hack.

I'm perfectly aware that I might be wrong and if I am, please correct me. I searched around a little bit and couldn't find any evidence,

One of the big shots at one of the two largest macros here told us to be careful about the formation of carbon monoxide during fermentation. And this guy is an engineer, with a graduation in some sort of beer science.

The last thread on her beer article was interesting. Her article seemed like a lot of glittering generalities for senseationalistic journalism full of half truths & misleading statements.

The last thread on her beer article was interesting. Her article seemed like a lot of glittering generalities for senseationalistic journalism full of half truths & misleading statements.

I feel the need to read more... just for a laugh :D Link?

What was even more infuriating than Foodbabe's willful ignorance was the fact that she DELETED comments from professional brewers and from homebrewers like us pointing out the inaccuracies. Such bull***t.

What was even more infuriating than Foodbabe's willful ignorance was the fact that she DELETED comments from professional brewers and from homebrewers like us pointing out the inaccuracies. Such bull***t.

Censoring? So she really gets journalism. ;) :D

I was wondering when we would derail into her column.

Maybe someone should point out to her the ingredients in that glass of wine she is drinking at the bottom of the article. Do you think she realized that selective grape breeding is technically genetically modifying the grapes?

One of the pro-brewers pointed out that glass off wine she has at the bottom had more sulfite's added intentionally than a beer ever produces on its own.

Did she ever write about what is put into wine that is bad for you? :D

The experts response also known as What's In YOUR Beer? Or, The Dangers of Dumbassery

Wine can be made commercially without sulfides and I think they're getting more popular. Some hippie was pitching it at a recent wine festival me and the wife went to.
Wasn't bad stuff either.

(This post was edited to remove the use of the word "actually" :D)

Maybe someone should point out to her the ingredients in that glass of wine she is drinking at the bottom of the article. Do you think she realized that selective grape breeding is technically genetically modifying the grapes?

Yeah... artificial selection is not what's typically meant when talking about GMOs. Except by flaming pedants, obviously.

JonM said:

Yea - I went through the aggravation of this article once already. It definitely is the opposite of funny things about beer. Sigh.

Cheesy_Goodness said:
Wine can be made commercially without sulfides and I think they're getting more popular. Some hippie was pitching it at a recent wine festival me and the wife went to.
Wasn't bad stuff either.

(This post was edited to remove the use of the word "actually" :D)

I was under the impression that you can make it without sulfides, but that a certain amount is naturally produced in the fermentation process. It's probably not viable for the smaller producers to pull the natural sulfides out.

Just read a caption on Instagram talking about how amazing the "bourbon malts" are in the 2010 bourbon county stout....oops.

Crossing breeds of anything uses the natural life processes,so they really aren't the same as GMO's. I used to do that with tropical fish...GMO fish? :drunk::D

Crossing breeds of anything uses the natural life processes,so they really aren't the same as GMO's. I used to do that with tropical fish...GMO fish? :drunk::D

And it's barely a step away from just sex. Should we call our children GMOs?

Ha. Yeah,it's just a bit more complicated than just smurfin off...I used a seperate tank to get them in the mood with fresh live food & a lil quiet time. ;)

Ha. Yeah,it's just a bit more complicated than just smurfin off...I used a seperate tank to get them in the mood with fresh live food & a lil quiet time. ;)

Pretty sure we select our mates and find a quiet place too ;)

Unless you're REALLY adventurous!

I wish I could completely screw up everything I do at work and still have a job

Isn't it ironic that halfway through this I have learned more about beer than reading the informational threads?

Wife says she will only drink a beer that is light and has no hops. I hand her my first non-kit based beer with an estimated 32IBU (4lb LME/2.5g beer batch):

"Not bad, I like that"

At a restaurant with a Shiner Wild Hare:

"Ooh I like that"

What happened to no hops?

Back