Beer Float

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just mixed up my first beer float with my stout and some vanilla ice cream.
:cross:

Holy Bitterness!

The ice cream turned an otherwise mild stout into a bitter hop-bomb!

What the hell is up with that? Anyone else ever try this?

Rogue makes an awesome beer float with their chocolate stout and/or their hazelnut brown. The sweetness of the ice cream makes the bitterness more apparent to the tongue, so its not a float for the faint of heart, but wonderfully tasty.

My favorite is 1/2 hazelnut and 1/2 chocolate stout. At Rogue pubs they sell that mix in a pint and call it "snickers" and it literally does taste like a snickers bar (minus the sugar), that mix makes for a near perfect beer float.

One of my favorite floats was made with Terminator stout and Coffee People Black Tiger espresso. Just add some decent ice cream and enjoy.

now, i just use a homebrewed milk stout and Peets for a similar flavor.

Big Boss brewing out of Raleigh, NC put out an 8% ABV coffee stout called Aces n Ates this year that made an excellent float. The sweetness of the vanilla ice cream cancelled out the bitter of the stout and really brought out the coffee and chocolate flavors in the beer.

olllllo put the idea for a beernana float in my head, I have come up with this simple recipe:
Bavarian Hefe, a scoop or two of pistachio or butter pecan ice cream and top with a dollop of whipped cream.

I love how the banana esters from the beer pair so well with the nutty sweetness from the ice cream. so simple yet tasty!

Back