Brew in Process need quick advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
im doing my first partial mash, and somehow I have too much wort. My pot is REALLY full.

Is it ok if i disolve my DME in a seperate pot and add it to the fermentor at the same time as the work. I think if i put this DME in it will be way too much

Will this effect my beer?

Also what temperature in Ferinheit is the lowest I can go and its still a boil? 200F? or lower? Just wanna make sure I dont get to vigorous.

Water boils at 212F. Your wort should boil a bit higher than that. 200F is way too low.

If you have a fan of some sort, try to get a fan positioned so that it is blowing directly on the top of the pot from a close range above the pot. This will help prevent boilovers.

Just split the wort from the partial mash into to pots and boil it like you normally would.

im doing my first partial mash, and somehow I have too much wort. My pot is REALLY full.

Is it ok if i disolve my DME in a seperate pot and add it to the fermentor at the same time as the work. I think if i put this DME in it will be way too much

Will this effect my beer?

Also what temperature in Ferinheit is the lowest I can go and its still a boil? 200F? or lower? Just wanna make sure I dont get to vigorous.

It boils at the temperature it boils- in my location it's 210 degrees. Unless you live on a mountain, you should be near the same. Bring it to a boil, and take the thermometer out (or ignore it). Temperature doesn't matter, boiling does.

If you pot is really full, you can do your boil and end the DME at flame out when some of the wort has boiled off a bit.

Yeah it's ok to disolve and boil your dme in another pot and add it to the fermenter along with the other pot after the boil and cool.
Your hop utilzation may be affected some by this but I wouldn't worry too much, you'll still make good beer if your sanitation is good and you control your fermentation temps
The actual boil temp depends on ambient humidity and your elevation relative to sea level. You'll know you're boiling when u see the bubbles. you may have to keep it soft until you boil off some of that excess wort. Good luck

Thanks guys

i dont have any idea how 2 gallons in one pot and another 2 gallons in the other pot resulted in my 5 gallon pot to get filled to the tits!

excuse the expression

Question

Do you guys leave the hop bag in the wort while its cooling? ive done this before and i ment to ask? It takes me a while to cool my wort so it could effect taste?

Back