Adding wort directly to yeast cake - first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I'd like to add my next batch of wort directly to my previous batch's yeast cake. About my first batch: pitched one Pacman Activator Pack (no starter). Will have been in primary fermentor for 3 weeks. Gravity went from 1.062 to 1.013.

1. After I pitched my previous batch, some folks on this forum told me that I should have used a starter given the OG. Since I did not, do you think my yeasties will be too stressed out for another batch?

2. Should I add yeast nutrients?

3. Should I wash the yeast and then create a starter?

4. Should I just forget all of the above and just go for it?

They should be okay, I'd just pitch on top of it if it is the same/similar beer or if it is darker than the last batch..

1-no, you actually just created a big ass starter
2-see #1
3- you could argue that you would get some of the dead cells and other trub out by doing this, but not necessary
4-yes

Okay, now I've started reading threads about OVER pitching, so that's my new concern.

Here's my new plan: Pitch my next brew (similar OG ~1.062) onto half of my yeast cake. Wash the other half and then stick it in my fridge for next weekend's batch. How does that plan sound?

Sounds like more work than I would do, but it will probably work for you just fine.

Remember, if one read every thread on here, one may be convinced there is no possible way to make a drinkable beer!

Sometimes I pitch on the whole cake, sometimes I'll pull a quart of the cake and pitch that to a clean fermenter. Depends mostly on how big the cake is and whether or not the fermenter walls are covered with krausen crud.

Rack the first beer off the cake, then pour the wort on top of it. I like to make sure it gets some aeration when I pour the wort on it. Make sure you use a blow off tube, because all of those little yeasties will be hungry at the same time, and they will produce a ton of CO2.

I usually pitch straight on top of the new cake. I wouldn't worry about over-pitching unless you're brewing a beer that takes some of its flavor from esters and stress, i.e. belgians, a fruitier english pale.

Back