Anyone use dry ice (or other forms of CO2) for hop storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
I've never kept hops in bulk but after surfing through hops direct, Im tempted to start.

So in terms of long term storage, what are you guys doing? Do you find that an airtight container is sufficient to store dry whole leaf hops for >1yr?

Not knowing the answer to that question, and it being a slow day at work, I got thinking about bulk storage ideas for hops which prevent oxidation/degradation. In my search, I found this article:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/...oncentrations_of_co2_in_home_food_storage.htm

It basically breaks down the procedure for food storage using a small amount of dry ice to generate a CO2 environment in an airtight container (vented while the dry ice sublimates).

Your thoughts?

I've never kept hops in bulk but after surfing through hops direct, Im tempted to start.

So in terms of long term storage, what are you guys doing? Do you find that an airtight container is sufficient to store dry whole leaf hops for >1yr?

Not knowing the answer to that question, and it being a slow day at work, I got thinking about bulk storage ideas for hops which prevent oxidation/degradation. In my search, I found this article:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/...oncentrations_of_co2_in_home_food_storage.htm

It basically breaks down the procedure for food storage using a small amount of dry ice to generate a CO2 environment in an airtight container (vented while the dry ice sublimates).

Your thoughts?

I think nitrogen or argon would be a much more effective inert gas for long term storage. Anyhow, regardless of what you use to store, you're going to experience loss of freshness over time.

I use a vacuum sealer and *gasp* a refrigerator (not freezer). I just don't have room in my freezer for several pounds of leaf hops.... but I do between my kegs in the keezer. According to BeerSmith's Hop Age tool, the difference between fridge and freezer for 6 months is about 0.3% AA (assuming vacuum sealed).

I did a brew day at a local brewery about a month back, and they used two chest freezers to store all their hops. After pulling hops for the brew, they purge the bags with nitrogen and seal it back up.

So, if you don't want to buy a nitrogen tank, just get your hands on some liquid nitrogen. :D

Back