Cornstarch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I am working on an Amber Lager recipe, something similar to Dos Equis Amber.

Will cornstarch work to thin it out a bit? Say, a half pound to a pound?

If I use it, do I just add it to the mash? I would guess a protein rest would be called for, right?

Boy, I honestly don't know. But my inclination is to say to keep cornstarch far away from your beer.

If you want to lighten up a brew, you could add corn sugar, flaked corn, rice, rice syrup, etc. But why cornstarch?
I can't imagine why that would be an ingredient in beer.

In theory if mashed properly cornstarch should be no different than flaked corn, but my only knowledge of its use in brewing is as a additive to make Belgian wit bears cloudy. So I wouldn't add it unless you want cloudy beer.

I've used corn sugar and rice syrup solids with good results.

Papazian mentions cornstarch as an adjunct in "Joy".

So, flaked corn would be a better choice? How should I use of that, and how much?

Papazian talks about cornstarch as an adjunct. It needs to be mashed to convert the starches. I know one of his recipes call for up to a pound in the mash. If you use it, make sure cornstarch is the only ingredient.

I am working on an Amber Lager recipe, something similar to Dos Equis Amber.

Will cornstarch work to thin it out a bit? Say, a half pound to a pound?

If I use it, do I just add it to the mash? I would guess a protein rest would be called for, right?

Cornstarch can be used as an adjunct alternative to sugar, rice or corn to "thin out" the beer as it will pretty much ferment out and not leave much behind. Mix it with the crushed grain before mashing in. Once the hot water hits the mixture it will dissolve and the malt's enzymes will convert it. Cornstarch has little protein so a special rest is not required.

I'd definitely go with flaked maize in a mash over cornstarch. While The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is one of the most valuable homebrew books out there, it is a tad out dated. Some of the ingredients available today weren't available then.

you can use it in any recipe that calls for corn. It is just the starch and yes you do need to convert it in the mash. There are people here that have, and do use it. I started a thread some time ago on the topic.
Cheers
Jay

So has anyone here tried this? If so, do you have the steps for properly mashing with corn starch. X(grain)lbs to Y(Corn starch)lbs. I understand that 6-Row should make up some of your grain bill. Any help would be appreciated since I'm trying to make a session beer to see how low cost I can make an Ale/Lager.

I used corn starch in one of my Amber Ales. It came out kind of cloudy. Now, I used flaked corn instead.

When I used it, I just dumped it into the mash.

I have used polenta, the large kernel corn available in most mexican food stores. It's used for hominy and menudo. I grind it with a corona mill first, then run that through my roller mill. It must be mashed but I use it in my CAP and cream ale both. It adds a pretty unique dimension.

mill-polenta_top.jpg

I have used polenta, the large kernel corn available in most mexican food stores.

Polenta is a sort of mashed-potato consistency (but grainier) dish made from water, butter, and traditionally chestnut flour, though cornmeal (and often buckwheat flour) are usually used in lieu of chestnut flour today. It's particularly common in Italy and Austria.

Polenta:

It's used for hominy

Hominy is corn that's been soaked in lye to remove the germ and hull. I _think_ that's what you're buying.

It's often ground up to make grits (sometimes non-lye-treated corn is used for grits, instead).

and menudo.

Menudo is a stew made from boiled cow stomachs. It's not directly related to maize products itself, though in some regions of Mexico (especially the north) hominy is traditionally added to the stew. It's also often served in corn tortillas.

I've been wondering about the starch possibilities. I've been thinking about trying some tapioca or arrowroot starch.

Back