Curds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I take if you want cheese curds you take a cheddar recipe and after you get to the curd stage you just dont mold them, you let them air dry till they are firm? Is there any special steps I am missing?

First thing SWMBO said when she saw the cheese making kit was "we can make curds?"

I haven't made them but I have asked around and what I was told was to follow a cheddar recipe and cook them for a little longer (until they squeak) and then salt them and dry.

SuperiorBrew said:
I take if you want cheese curds you take a cheddar recipe and after you get to the curd stage you just dont mold them, you let them air dry till they are firm? Is there any special steps I am missing?

First thing SWMBO said when she saw the cheese making kit was "we can make curds?"

Well yeah that's about it. :). And for 'eatin' curds you want the cheddar recipe as it will give you the right texture.

SuperiorBrew said:

yeah, that's the deal. I noticed in the cheeses that I have made that the ones that are warmed to higher temperatures have tighter smaller curds.

Back