Converting to multiple regulators: hardware ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy48

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have one tap, from one cylinder with one regulator.

I would like to add a second regulator and connect them both to manifolds which will then control my taps. One regulator will be set at carbonating pressure, the other at serving pressure.

My question is about what equipment I need: if I already have a standard regulator, can I just buy one more that was designed to be set in sequence (with the extra connection) and put my current regulator second in sequence?

I attached a picture of my current regulator. Can you just modify the standard regulators to get them to work in sequence? I actually have 2 stand-alone regulators.

image.jpg

Yes you can, the right and left input are straight through. So you could remove your tank gauge(the one on the left that tells you how much pressure is in your tank) run a nipple(1/4npt if I rember correctly) to your new regulator, add your existing tank pressure gauge to the far left side, and a new regulated pressure gauge on the top, and your good to go.
And dude, those are some ugly ass feet. ;) good luck.

the only thing to be aware of, if you add a second body to your original regulator some models have left hand thread. You can find the nipples to connect them at most of the bigger homebrew shops.

Thanks! It sounds like you guys might save me a good $80... Maybe I'll invest in some anti-biotic cream ;)

So you have your primary regulator set at 30 which splits... One end goes straight to a keg the other end goes to the manifold?

I have two double gage regulators so I think it makes sense for me to just have two manifolds... Makes sense right?

Makes sense to me. Play around with both regulators and see what hand thread you got. Or just take them both to Airgas, their is one in west springfield and tell them what you want to do, they should stock the nipple you need no matter what the tread is. If not they can order it for you you. Hammy, are their any good hobebrew stores down your way?

Thanks! I'll do that next chance I get. Yeah there is a HB shop in Northampton, Leverett (or Sunderland) and ludlow. Those are the ones I know of...

Just an update on this and some info for anybody who might be looking to do this.

Airgas was not helpful and had no idea what I was talking about. However I was able to put my two regulators together using tape thread wrenches and this part from ChiCompany (those guys are awesome btw and were very helpful over the phone):

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1914

So with a $3.66 cent part and very low shipping cost I was able to convert two old regulators into a dual body regulator and save myself $150. I then created double and triple valve manifolds out of brass plumbing and hooked them up in sequence (saving another $100 or so)... Saison is pouring and the stout is carbonating successfully at two different pressures. Thanks again to all the people that posted on here.

You can see the regulator behind the top of the corny keg and a little bit of the manifold to the left of the keg.

jk not for sale.jpg

Latest posts

Back