18-D Belgian Golden Strong Ale - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goybar

Reaction score
Hi All,

I would like to make a Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I plan on using Jamil Z. recipe. Continental Pilsner and Cane/Beet Sugar.

When do I add the Sugar? During the 90 minute boil? Into the fermentor?

This may be obvious, but I've never added Sugar to my beers.

I primarily brew German lagers.

Regards,

Chris

Easiest thing to do is to add to the boil. Mash low and ramp your ferm temp towards the end to ensure a dry finish

There are different schools of thought on this. The school I agree with, is to add the sugar several days after primary ferementation has started (actually I prefer to add it when primary appears to be nearly done). The reasoning is that yeast prefer simple sugars over the more complex maltose. If you add it at the same time (aka in the boil) then the yeast will primarily nosh on the simple sugar and may quit working before they eat the maltose - which results in a very high FG/ stalled ferementation. I have seen this happen several times. However, if you add the sugar later into fermentation, the yeast will have already consumed most of the maltose and then will nosh on the simple sugars. Just remember that the yeasties will go a little crazy after you add all of that sugar so you may wish to use a blow off tube.

BigB,

I was thinking along the same lines. That the yeast may get "lazy" and not ferment the maltose.

I'm surprised that in Jamil's book he doesn't specify how or when.

g-star,

Have you had any issues with it fermenting out when adding the sugar to the boil?

Chris

I always add my sugar to the boil and have never had a problem with the yeast crapping out early. You just want to make sure you're treating your yeast nicely-- correct # of cells, fermentation temps in check, and plenty of O2. Also, you may want to make sure you're not getting too near the alcohol tolerance of your yeast strain of choice.

I have done it both ways. I agree with BigB about adding after fermentation slows. I have never had a problem adding it during the boil, but I think I get and extra couple of points of attenuation adding it later. I always do an appropriate sized starter, aerate well, and watch ferment temps.

I too have been successful adding sugar during the boil. Like was said,just make sure your pitch rate,aeration,and temps are spot on and you'll be fine. I do also like to add a little yeast nutrient if my adjunct additions reach 10% or more of my grain bill to ensure adequate FAN for the yeast to do its job.

goybar said:
I'm surprised that in Jamil's book he doesn't specify how or when.

He discusses this on the jamil show on the brewing network. The book is a little vague without the shows.

I must have missed that part of the Jamil Show, but I was at work listening to it :)

I'll listen again when I'm not being distracted.

Thanks for all the responses. From the responses it should work either way, just a mater of preference.

Chris

BPal75 said:
I too have been successful adding sugar during the boil. Like was said,just make sure your pitch rate,aeration,and temps are spot on and you'll be fine. I do also like to add a little yeast nutrient if my adjunct additions reach 10% or more of my grain bill to ensure adequate FAN for the yeast to do its job.

Agree with the above. If you have solid ferm practices, it should work fine. My last BGS finished at 1.005 doing it this way.

The theory about adding the sugar after most of the maltose has been consumed is sound, but I've never found it to be necessary

Back