Using Pre-Hopped Muntons LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

althea

Reaction score
So someone gave me 2 cans of pre-hopped LME. 1 an IPA, the other an English Bitter. It states an IBU i want to say of like 30 or something (i don't have them in front of me). I was thinking just because they were free (and old) of making a quick american stout recipe and dumping it on a San Franciso Lager Cake that will be available to me this weekend after racking off of it.

I'm wondering how to account for bitterness. Will 1 4lb can mixed with 5 gallons mean the thing will have 30 IBUS? If I use the 2 cans with 5 gallons, does this mean I'll end up with 60 IBUS? Anyone know how this works? I just plan on doing something quick and easy but don't want it to be way too bitter or under bittered for that matter. I wanted to also use some grain to obviously turn this into a stout lager.

Any suggestions on using the hopped LME?

1st off,never boil pre-hopped LME for any length of time. It'll drive off hop flavor/aroma leaving whatever bittering was there at the length of time the hops were boiled originally. Use the steeped/PM'd grains for the hop additions. Then add the pre-hopped cans at flame out,stiring till no more can be scraped off the bottom.

Yup, that was the plan...dumping them in a flameout (or 5 mins to go)...any idea how to account for the IBUs of the finished product? Seems like most of these recipes are planned for 1 can and then dme along with it. Does this mean that the IBUs would be 30(as stated ont he can) for a 5 gallon batch? I just want to be able to target my IBUs and I'm unsure how to accomplish this with the cans.

I think you're right, althea, on calculating the IBUs - the stated amount on the can is what you can expect when reconstituted as a 5-gallon batch. So if you use 2 cans of 30IBUs each, you should expect about 60IBUs in the finished product.

Back