my basement brewroom build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRep

Reaction score
Been working on my slice of heaven for a couple months now. Finally done building cabinets/tables and figured I'd post some shots as it stands. Room is going to be getting a Kal clone with some nice shiney keggles. Still need to finish sheetrock on one wall and do something with the floor and ceiling. Also going to be running some hot and cold lines right to the brew table for easy filling and cleaning. Also, in the middle of building the hood for the table. I hope to have that hung soon so I'll update when done.
Tom

Room when first entered from the door
IMG_20110821_202105.jpg

Working area
IMG_20110821_202115.jpg

Left wall- work table, milling/grain station
IMG_20110821_202124.jpg

Left rear wall- slop sink, shelves for cornies on top and carboys on the bottom
IMG_20110821_202133.jpg

Fermentation cabinet
IMG_20110821_202145.jpg

Brew table
IMG_20110821_202152.jpg

Room behind brew room- taps and lagering freezer
IMG_20110821_202228.jpg

Beautiful brew station man! Just let me know when you are ready to come over here to Ohio and Build mine! :p I especially like the woodwork, man is that beautiful!

Did you do all the cutting/building/staining yourself?

-Tim

Thanks Tim! I did all the woodwork myself. The only thing that was prefab was the mill cabinet. Used a Just For Cabinets base and modified it to hold my scoop, scale, and a slide out drawer for the bucket. Just added a dust port lastnight that I can hook my Shopvac up while milling to cut down on the dust. All I need for it yet is a motor for the mill.
Tom

Thanks! When its all done it will be all electric. As of now I'm propane out in the garage. I'm hoping to have everything done and be able to go grain to glass all in this room in the spring or so, depending on funds.
Tom

AWESOME~~~.....lol.

I just couldn't help but notice the CASES and CASES of Bud, miller ultra, corona, lol....

SORRY!!!!! Didn't notice the sign indicating that you had abandoned logic. That explains it.

;)

AWESOME~~~.....lol.

I just couldn't help but notice the CASES and CASES of Bud, miller ultra, corona, lol....

SORRY!!!!! Didn't notice the sign indicating that you had abandoned logic. That explains it.

;)
:ban: Yep, he has lots of friends who what great beer so after they drink junk beer, they give the bottles to tom. Tom then turns them onto fabulous beer! :mug:

Great set up, and even better that you'll be brewing there soon. Nice and clean/organized, but not over the top OCD style. I love the shopvac dust system on the mill. I mill outside for that reason.

I have the same backsplash around my utility sink in my laundry room along with thesame wall color, i thougt it looked really familar when i first saw it

:ban: Yep, he has lots of friends who what great beer so after they drink junk beer, they give the bottles to tom. Tom then turns them onto fabulous beer! :mug:

Could be, but I bet he is kegging! lol.

I wasn't serious. I need a decoy stash for my BMC buddies who come over and have to "choke down" actual good beer, when they would be happier with a miller ultra.(IMHO THE WORST BEER EVER!)

Ha! There hasn't been any actual BMC products in this house for a long time now! In fact, I have a case of Labatt's that I aquired sitting out in the garage since last summer and not a bottle was taken from it! The guy I work with also works at a "country club" as a cook on Friday nights. When I have some damaged cases, I ask him to grab me a couple. Most of the Sam Adams cases are long gone by now! I have about 30 cases of clean, delabled bottles right now and yes, I do mostly keg! Thanks for all the commments guys! I hope to have any update Sunday or Monday as I plan to do the floor coating this weekend,
Tom

keep us posted I have some thoughts that i will send over when i get back on the ground. I am flying from China (worlds worst beer country) and am due to arrive in new England in the middle of this storm coming up the coast.

keep us posted I have some thoughts that i will send over when i get back on the ground. I am flying from China (worlds worst beer country) and am due to arrive in new England in the middle of this storm coming up the coast.
Expecting a storm here too.

Hope your beers find you better in England!

The food may take a downturn though............;)

looking good buddy. when you are rolling second coat, work in opposite direction of the first...and back roll if you can....hope this helps.

love the setup tho..really awesome. ima build a shelf like yours for my kitchen to keep me from lugging equipment up and down the basement stairs. no garage so I have to brew outside. When I convert I will transfer it to my brewery.... can you post dimensions of your shelf...please :)

Hey Tim! thanks for the compliments! Second coat I did try to go the opposite direction as much as I could and I did mostly back roll. As for the shelf, I'll have to get the measurements for you. I built this thing back in my fish aquarium days. Just repainted the gloss black to flat black and removed the plywood shelves for the slats. Below is a picture of the second coat on the part I can do. Working on adding a vinyl wall base so I can move stuff back to that side and finish the coating where the chamber is sitting. Oh, and my "hop boy" is in the picture!
Tom

second coat with grit (no slip when wet)
IMG_20110828_142655.jpg

I saw a picture of your bottle rinser mounted in your sink and thought it was a great idea! I try not to bottle more often then I have to. I tend to bottle things that I want to sit around for a while or when I'm out of kegs. Hoping to do a keg run soon and pick up ten or so, so I should be set then. thanks for the suggestion though! Moved the fermentation chamber tonight and coated the floor where that was sitting. I'm also currently installing vinyl wall base trim along the floor. Does anyone know of a GOOD adhesive that will attach vinyl to painted concrete and attach within seconds? So far I used silicone (big time joke), Loctite 425 I think it was (worked okay, but didnt set quick enough) and the actual adhesive made for the vinyl trim (again, a massive joke). Any suggestions would be great!
Tom

Could hook up some ball lock fittings the the hot water line so you can rinse kegs without taking them apart.

Have you tried concrete adhesive? Comes in a caulk tube. Not sure how long it take to set though.

Time for a little update. Floor is completely coated with two coats. I'm really happy with the way it came out. I tried a different product to attach the vinyl wall base tonight. It seemed to work much better, but checking on it a half hour later, a lot of it had pulled away from the wall again. Currently have an e-mail in to Loctite to see what they recommend. I snapped a picture before it fell off, so you can see how it should look when done. And last update, I plan to be ordering my panel kit from Kal in the next couple days. Thats all I have for now!
Tom
also, on another note, I FINALLY caught one of the mice that have been getting in to stuff in the beer room! I know I have atleast one more to go...

IMG_20110831_231246.jpg

IMG_20110831_231235.jpg

I scored some nice metal cabinets from my work yesterday to be used for my grains. Had to drill some spot welds yesterday to move the shelves in the doors and am currently working on painting them. Plan to use chalkboard paint on the doors so I can write what is in the cabinets and how much so shopping lists/making recipes will be easier. Also, officially placed the order for my 50 amp DIY control panel from theelectricbrewery.com. Mike says it will be about two weeks before I can start posting drool pics of that! Hope everyone is having a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend!
Tom
ps. there are shelves for inside the cabinets as well, just dont have them in right now

Base cabinet
IMG_20110904_193349.jpg

IMG_20110904_193409.jpg

Top Cabinet
IMG_20110904_193417.jpg

IMG_20110904_193430.jpg

Can't wait to see the 50 amp panel. Might sneak over and swap mine with yours when you are not looking.

Ha, bring it on buddy! Remember, my panel's bigger then yours! :p

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Cabinet is all painted and in place. So much more room in these then my last cabinet! Chalkboard paint needs to dry for a couple days before I can write on it. Not sure how many people use Snapware containers for their grains, but they work really well for me. I can fit 6 large containers (5# of grain), six medium containers (I think 2.5# of grain), and 12 small containers (1# of grain) in EACH of the base cabinets. Now I just need more of the Snapware.
Tom

IMG_20110905_164927.jpg

top cabinet
IMG_20110905_170449.jpg

one of the base cabinets
IMG_20110905_170503.jpg

Not a whole lot of progress this weekend. Moved everything back in the room after the floor coating. Also made up my element boxes for the keggles. And lastly I got my DIY hood installed. I need to do the ductwork for it yet, but I think it turned out pretty good. Hopefully I'll be getting my panel kit the end of this week.
Tom

IMG_20110911_213403.jpg

IMG_20110911_213434.jpg

IMG_20110911_213457.jpg

Another weekend goes by and I again didn't get as much done as I would have liked in the brewery. I did get the new can lights installed and I picked up the drywall, but didn't get to hang any yet. hope to get some hung tonight and I'll snap a couple pictures of the progress so far. Also didn't get my panel yet. hopefully the end of this week that will arrive.
tom

Very cool Tom. I'm converting a cold room into a brewery setup and am using some of Kal's ideas as inspiration, although I'm going to be going with natural gas instead of electric. I'm thinking of painting the concrete room as you have done, did you do anything to prep the concrete?

Back