lead & brass fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ok so Im wanting to build a MLT with a cooler and have found some discussion on the dangers of lead in the brass fittings.

Is there something I should look for in the fittings?
Do I need to do the vinegar voodoo dip?

Looking for some clarification please......

I'd say to just go stainless. Yeah, it costs a bit more, but on a cooler rig, how many parts are there? And you never have to worry about lead poisoning.

I use brass and never did any 'voodoo' on it. I don't really clean it either, it is on my kettle and mash tun.

If you are scared of brass, particularly modern brass, do not go near WD-40, oil, your lawnmower, de-icer, rock salt, fertilizer, weed sprays, anti-freeze, windshield wiper fluid, never scrape paint in your house, do not grind, cut or sand any natural stone, stop painting the interior or exterior of your house, don't eat dirt, don't chew your pencil, and never mill asbestos.

All those things have a potential to jack with your health in various amounts, eventually, sooner if you bathe in it or snort it. Brass fittings, IMO, and accepting no liability, are perfectly acceptable. YYMV.

according to Mr. Palmer, there is no concern with using brass. I have some brass in my setup, and am not concerned at all. if u can afford all ss fittings, do it. otherwise, don't sweat the brass.

Brass fittings, IMO, and accepting no liability, are perfectly acceptable. YYMV.

Just out of curiosity, if you're sure that brass is "perfectly acceptable" as to openly suggest it is, why aren't you accepting any liability for your comments? Sounds a little irresponsible to me...

Here's some real information:

Also in California, lead-free materials must be used for "each component that comes into contact with the wetted surface of pipes and pipe fittings, plumbing fittings and fixtures." On January 1, 2010, the maximum amount of lead in "lead-free brass" in California was reduced from 4% to 0.25% lead. The common practice of using pipes for electrical grounding is discouraged, as it accelerates lead corrosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass#Lead_content

Just out of curiosity, if you're sure that brass is "perfectly acceptable" as to openly suggest it is, why aren't you accepting any liability for your comments? Sounds a little irresponsible to me...

Sorry for having a sense of humor.

Don't use brass.

If you are scared of brass, particularly modern brass, do not go near WD-40, oil, your lawnmower, de-icer, rock salt, fertilizer, weed sprays, anti-freeze, windshield wiper fluid, never scrape paint in your house, do not grind, cut or sand any natural stone, stop painting the interior or exterior of your house, don't eat dirt, don't chew your pencil, and never mill asbestos.

I choose not to drink any of those products, I do drink my own product. Call me anal, but my entire brewery is stainless. Yeah, I've invested waaaayyyyy too much into it, but I am waaaaaaayyyyyy into my own beer. LOL:mug:

Do whatever you feel is right. A stainless ball valve is like 12-14 from www.directmaterials.com tube is pretty cheap from grainger. Copper is pretty cheap also. Nipples and fittings from www.buyfittingsonline.com are awfully inexpensive also. Just my 2 cents

I've got mostly stainless, but there are some brass fittings in there also. If stainless was available at the hardware store, I would have bought those. In any case, I'm in CA so it's CA lead free brass and therefore less than 0.25% lead. Perfectly safe.

I use some brass in my mashtun...maybe that explains the nervous twitch in my face lately. mystery solved

I cast bullets out of lead on a regular basis. I figure if my fingers and toes are tingling now, using brass fittings won't matter.

Most of those fittings are intended for use in potable water systems. If you'd like to be sure that there is a very low level of lead in the fittings, look for "NSF 61" or "Lead Free" labeling.

Thanks for all the replies... I knew it was a can of worms but would like to sleep at night as I way over think this kind of thing. Cheers

Back