I want it skunky...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint

Reaction score
I've started a batch of generic pilsner and I used Saaz to give it a skunky flavor. Now this is my first batch and I'm really curious as to how it'll turn out. I'm hoping for something along the lines of a Pilsner Urquell or the like. Any comments?

I typically think of Saaz as floral, not skunky.

But to answer your Q, yes, Saaz is the way to go if you are looking to dulicate P U.

P U ? Is that why you said skunky?

Cheers,

knewshound

I don't think Saaz will give you the skunky flavor you're looking for. That flavor is caused by storing your beer in clear/green bottles in direct light, causing a reaction with hop oils.

Post the recipe if you'd like more comments...

If you REALLY want it skunky, let it get lightstruck. I'd hold off on that until you taste it, though. Saaz is the classic hop for this style, it should be tasty. Are you lagering the beer?

knewshound said:
I typically think of Saaz as floral, not skunky.

But to answer your Q, yes, Saaz is the way to go if you are looking to dulicate P U.

P U ? Is that why you said skunky?

Cheers,

knewshound

Yeah, I think that PU (no pun intended) has a rather skunky flavor to it.

It's been around 56F since for the past 18 hours or so. If I'm remembering correctly that should be pretty good temp for lagering.

No hop that I am aware of directly skunky.

However, ANY hop will turn skunky from UV exposure. If you want a skunky beer, bottle it in green or clear bottles and set it where it will be hit with natural sunlight or by light from flourescent bulbs.

(or... put the whole secondary fermenter in exposure to the UV light and bottle it in whatever you want.)

Export Urquell, the stuff we get here in the states, is flawed. It's not supposed to be so skunky. But, hey, if you want to replicate said flaw, just bottle it in green or clear bottles, and let them age in a sunny window. Mmm...skunky export urquell...:(

Maybe skunky isn't the correct word. The imported Urquell has a bitter-sweet finish, I suppose that's the best way to describe it. I'm enjoying one right now.

Okay, here's what I used for my recipe:

3.3 Pounds Light Malt Extract
3.5 Gallons of Water
3 oz Saaz
1 oz yeast
1 Chuck Norris

What do you think it'll be like?

IME Urquell in the States

A) Has improved a lot over the past 10 years.
B) Is still a flawed beer compared to the way it leaves the brewery.

Even though less skunky than in the past the hops has really degraded by the time we get it here.

I've always tasted a bit of skunkyness in Pilsner Urquell too when I get it in bottles. There's a couple of places that have it on tap, and it definitely tastes better that way.

I was at the liquor store buying beer today after work, and I think I saw a new packaging for Pilsner Urquell that had 12 bottles in a fully enclosed box, like a 12 pack of Bud or Coors or MIller bottles, for example. $14.49 for a twelve pack. That packaging should help to reduce the skunkyness, since the bottles won't be exposed to light.

Heineken has that skunky taste too. I wonder if the Heineken in cans tastes any better than the green-bottled variety? Anyone tried it? If the skunkyness really comes from light exposure through green bottles, then the caned beer should taste much different.

Why do some breweries specifically choose clear or green bottles? They have to know about the skunk.

I have no idea why anyone uses non-brown bottles. Brewers who ship their beer that way have no respect for their product or their consumers.

I've had some great Heineken and Grolsch from the bottle, but it's a RARE occasion (I think once each). They have very similar flavors, and without the skunk, there is a touch of honey flavor with very little perceived bitterness - well balanced and tasty. Mostly, though, they come through skunked and taste like garbage.

Yuri_Rage said:
I've had some great Heineken and Grolsch from the bottle, but it's a RARE occasion (I think once each). They have very similar flavors, and without the skunk, there is a touch of honey flavor with very little perceived bitterness - well balanced and tasty. Mostly, though, they come through skunked and taste like garbage.

Heineken (and most Belgian beer) tastes like crap anyway. I want a beer that will kick me in the teeth with flavor. I've tried beer from Avery, Deschutes, Heavy Seas, Caldera Brewing Co, Flying Dog... You name it, I've probably tried it; from Pale Ales to Barley Wines.

I want a beer that'll kick me in the teeth and say "I'm beer and this is what I taste like!" Skunky, thick and beastly. I want a full favor beer with an angry furvor.

Well, it's Belgian, so you'll have preconceived notions, I'm sure. Traditionally, it's a spontaneously (wild yeast) fermented beer that winds up with a unique sour character. However, the yeast/bacteria (yes, bacteria...in particular, the kind you DON'T want in most beer!) that make it are really only abundant enough to spontaneously innoculate an open container of beer in certain areas of Belgium. But, you can buy the yeast and bacteria strains from any of the online HBS sites. Do a search for a lambic recipe - they can be a little involved, but the flavor is VERY in your face.

Flint said:
Heineken (and most Belgian beer) tastes like crap anyway. I want a beer that will kick me in the teeth with flavor. I've tried beer from Avery, Deschutes, Heavy Seas, Caldera Brewing Co, Flying Dog... You name it, I've probably tried it; from Pale Ales to Barley Wines.

I want a beer that'll kick me in the teeth and say "I'm beer and this is what I taste like!" Skunky, thick and beastly. I want a full favor beer with an angry furvor.

Find a clone recipe for Arrogant Bastard. Use it as a baseline only. Add more hops and crystal malt......doubling them would work. Add malto dexterin for the thick beastliness. Ferment it with whatever ale yeast you want, as warm as possible.

Good or bad, it'll be full flavored, thick and beastly fo' sho.

Flint said:

You say you've tried Avery---have you tried Mephistopheles? Talk about kicking your teeth in. How about Dogfish Head's "World Wide Stout" or 120 Minute IPA?

Then again...if you think that "most Belgian beer tastes like crap", I'm going to have to seriously question your judgment in the first place.

I've talked to several people who drink Urqell often her ein Minnesota and they assume that is supposed to be skunky. Thats because everysingle bottle I have tried here has been skunky. Its like that with a lot of imports. I got some stella artois last month that was skunked up and it made me kind of angry:mad:

There should be a Man's law: "Don't skunk the beer!"

beer4breakfast said:
Heineken has that skunky taste too. I wonder if the Heineken in cans tastes any better than the green-bottled variety? Anyone tried it? If the skunkyness really comes from light exposure through green bottles, then the caned beer should taste much different.
Heineken is deliberately 'skunked' at the brewery to ensure that it tastes the same all over the world. It's actaully not a bad beer if you drink it on tap at the brewery in pre-skunked condition.

Back