First Geyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiTownUSA

Reaction score
My wife calls me at lunch and tells me my beer is doing something weird. It was a high gravity Kolsch that I just brewed yesterday afternoon. I asked her if it was an emergency and if I needed to come home for lunch, to which she replied "I don't think so." An hour and a half later she calls to tell me "It's like a geyser and the little plastic thing on top is in three pieces."

I said, "Cool. It is a three piece airlock." Other than all the cleanup I had to do I was pretty excited. I was glad to see what the power of making a yeast starter can do. It was only the second time I've made one.

After doing some forensics I came to the conclusion that a bunch of krausen had clogged up the airlock and turned my fermenter into a bomb. :rockin:

Now for a quick question. The beer I made was a Kolsch extract kit I bought from AHB. I opted to get the 1% alcohol booster included. I don't know what the OG was supposed to be off the top of my head, but with the booster is came in around 1.067. Does that seem normal, and will it finish where it would have without it assuming everything goes as planned?

tis a bit high for a Kolsch IMO, but as far as the beer itself, I think you're fine.

many many years ago they didn't even use airlocks. they just put fabric like cheesecloth over the top of the fermenter. see: open fermentation.

Now for a quick question. The beer I made was a Kolsch extract kit I bought from AHB. I opted to get the 1% alcohol booster included. I don't know what the OG was supposed to be off the top of my head, but with the booster is came in around 1.067. Does that seem normal, and will it finish where it would have without it assuming everything goes as planned?

Koelsch is usually very close to 12 Plato or 1.048 and has 4.8% ABV. You'll end up with about 7% ABV, which sounds very high for the style and definitely higher than it should have been (1% extra alcohol would be about 1.056).

Back