How much dried malt extract to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordanmilo

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll be bottling my first batch: English Best Bitter, OG 1.042, FG 1.012. I'd like to prime using Austin Homebrew's Amber Dried Malt Extract.

Various online calculators tell me that for the style-appropriate carbonation I only need to prime with 1.3 ounces of DME.

Based on my pre-brewing research (Joy of Homebrewing, et al), that seems like a miniscule amount of priming sugar. Papazian recommends 1.25 cups per 5 gallons (my batch came to more like 4.5 gallons because I left quite a bit in the primary fermenter when I racked to secondary).

I'm afraid that small amount of DME isn't going to produce enough carbonation, if any at all.

Bitters are not very carbonated. My calculator gives me a similar # although you are on the lower end for the style. If you haven't had a bitter before it will seem almost flat to you if you are used to BMC. The other thing to remember is that the degree of carbonation will be markedly affected by the temperature you serve the beer. For bitters you want them to be in the mid 50's - the usual "cellar" temperature for pubs. If you serve this straight from your fridge it will seem very flat, lifeless and without flavour or body. Done right this is an awesome style to brew for a house beer if you want flavourfull beers without alot of alcohol so you can hoist a few and get up the next day without regrets.

GT

Thanks; that alleviates my worries. It's been a long time since I've had cask conditioned bitters, but you're right: They are nearly flat. Nevertheless, SuperiorBrew calculated 1.9 oz., I think I'll bump it up to 2 even, so I can sleep for the next 3 weeks.

And my cellar is about 60 degrees, which was factored into the calculators.

What's BMC?

BMC is a homebrew acronym for the big 3 beer makers. Bud, Miller, Coors.

I haven't "enjoyed" any of their products since the 1980's, except for a Bud every 5 years or so.

I'm new to homebrewing, but not to good beer...

RICLARK said:
Probably 1 cup for a bitter.
I think that's what I'm leaning towards, partly because I'm going to give away a lot of the finished product to less-than-knowledgeable folks, and I don't want them to think the beer's flat as a result of my trying to make an authentic level of carbonation.

Jordanmilo said:
I think that's what I'm leaning towards, partly because I'm going to give away a lot of the finished product to less-than-knowledgeable folks, and I don't want them to think the beer's flat as a result of my trying to make an authentic level of carbonation.

I think as someone mentioned above a true British Bitter is very lightly Carbed almost flat, Im not totally positive maybe Orfy will chime in.

Back