Empty C02 Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paloaf

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a keezer with a 4-way manifold and four kegs. I use a 5 lb c02 tank. I've had three kegs hooked up for a few weeks with no problems. Last night I kegged a new brew and hooked it up to the gas. The keg is a used corny keg and I replaced all 5 o-rings and used lube. Today when I opened the keezer the gas tank is empty. The new keg is empty (pulled pressure relief valve shows no pressure) along with one other keg. Two of the kegs still hold pressure. I unhooked all gas disconnects from the kegs and will need to wait until Monday to refill the gas.

First question, what's the first place to look for a leak? Keg lid? Gas disconnect/post? Should all my connections have Teflon tape and plastic washers? I'm using 1/4" swivel nuts for all connections. Also, will all my beer be fine?

Thanks, love the forum.

First question, what's the first place to look for a leak? Keg lid? Gas disconnect/post? Should all my connections have Teflon tape and plastic washers? I'm using 1/4" swivel nuts for all connections. Also, will all my beer be fine?

Thanks, love the forum.

Yes, keg lid, keg posts, and the swivel nuts should be the first places to check. After that, the manifold connector. You can submerge the keg and connections in the bathtub if spraying star san on the connections doesn't find the leak.

Your beer will be fine.

Thanks for the quick help Yooper. If I do find leaks with the swivel nuts or keg posts what's the best way to fix? I'm a little discouraged as I've replaced all o-rings and used lube.

Should I hook up one keg at a time and spray with star San or do all 4?

Every leak I have had had been from the pressure relief valve. Last weekend, I lost 400psi after I kegged a beer. I saw the loss, pulled the keg out, sprayed the lid and posts with Starsan, sure enough, PRV again.

It sucks. I've been there. It gets expensive too.

Start by tightening the crap out of every connection. Then try to isolate each part of your system. Unhook your kegs to do this. Turn on your gas to pressurize it, then turn it off so you only lose a small amount of CO2. Wait, then recheck the system. If the pressure doesn't drop, move to the next component.

I usually start at the CO2 Gauge, then the manifold, then each keg. Eventually you will find the component that is leaking. Once you isolate it it's usually easy to fix.

I've lost my share of co2 tanks to leaks. My most recent one drained a 20lb and 2 5 lb before I finally found it. IT was actually 2 separate leaks...1 leaky keg lid and one leaky gas qd.

I've never had a leaky gas q/d before, so that took a while to find.

B-boy's advice is good. isolate each piece to seperate everything. Once you pressurize things, turn the co2 off at the tank so that if things leak it doesn't drain the tank.

...Start by tightening the crap out of every connection...
IMO, Not a good idea. I overtightened a corny post once and it now leaks around the base of the post. It looks like it caused a pinhole leak in the weld.

Was the keg fully carbed up? Maybe your tank was low and the beer ate the gas up.

All the help was great. I got a new tank yesterday and spent last night working through the system. I found the leak in the connection between the 4th keg and the manifold. Leak was coming from the swivel nut connection; tightened that up and good to go. I'll make sure to check the connections now when I change out kegs. Does anyone do that every time they change kegs?

Turned that fourth keg up to 25 psi for the night. Hoping to try it today after work. This morning I dropped it to 12 and turned on the three other keg's gas.

Back