Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brewstand is coming along. It's stained a nice pecan, not dark, not light, always been one of my favorite stains. As usual with any of my projects it's a half baked plan and modified as I go. I know there is a thread around here for brewstands but this is pipe related... sort of! Smoked quite a lot of tobacco while building it. Helps me think and take my time. There is one glaring error with the stand that unless I want to do some de-contsructing and rebuilding will just have to stay. I can live with it, I just don't know what the heck I was thinking when I made the flaw.

I've been on somewhat of a hiatus. Have smoked very little in the last month. Made the mistake of pseudo dieting too to avoid the smoking ban weight gain. It took well, I lost 10. Even laid off the eCig. It was a rough week.

Been tinkering with tuning the carb on my motorhorse. Put new jets in it and now I wait for time to dial in the idle pilot.

Hey Gila, have you or any others ordered that cob sampler bag? I've thought about it. If I bought one I'd be willing to trade any duplicates or other amicable trades with others. Off topic, are you familiar with "plug chops"? It would let you know if you are close on the top end before going to the dyno.

Hey Gila, have you or any others ordered that cob sampler bag? I've thought about it. If I bought one I'd be willing to trade any duplicates or other amicable trades with others. Off topic, are you familiar with "plug chops"? It would let you know if you are close on the top end before going to the dyno.

I've been toying with ordering a bag myself. I already have two well served cobs but need new bits. What keeps holding me back is that some of those pipes look very gimmicky. Like the freehand and the macarthur.

As for the plug chops. Yes, I have heard about the technique. But have also read numerous write-ups about why the technique is no longer valid. Basically comes down to too many detergents and cleaner fuels after leaded fuels were phased out.

I have a neighbor who is an instructor at a vocational auto shop. He thinks he can borrow a air/fuel meter to help me do the final tweaks.

GilaMinumBeer said:
I've been toying with ordering a bag myself. I already have two well served cobs but need new bits.

As for the plug chops. Yes, I have heard about the technique. But have also read numerous write-ups about why the technique is no longer valid. Basically comes down to too many detergents and cleaner fuels after leaded fuels were phased out.

I have a neighbor who is an instructor at a vocational auto shop. He thinks he can borrow a air/fuel meter to help me do the final tweaks.

And I learn something. I never did one. I considered trying it back when I had my race quad but tinkered til it ran good. I'm sure it could have run better. A/F under load is the best test.

Hey Gila, have you or any others ordered that cob sampler bag? I've thought about it. If I bought one I'd be willing to trade any duplicates or other amicable trades with others.

I ordered it the other day, I can post back what I get/how they look and smoke. The reviews seemed to suggest it was worth it for 10-12 pipes.

I've been smoking pipe a lot lately, at least a bowl an evening. Mostly English Supreme, but some black & burley and some Virginia #!.
Tonight I went with a favorite cigar though, Gran Habaño #5 corojo. Really good stick, but I have a bowl of B&B packed to have with my morning coffee. :pipe:

I've been on somewhat of a hiatus. Have smoked very little in the last month. Made the mistake of pseudo dieting too to avoid the smoking ban weight gain. It took well, I lost 10. Even laid off the eCig. It was a rough week.

Been tinkering with tuning the carb on my motorhorse. Put new jets in it and now I wait for time to dial in the idle pilot.

That's the good thing about pipe smoking, pick it up when you want and forget about it when you don't want. It's good to have hobbies! I wish I knew how to repair engines but the extent of my experience is changing oil and airing tires.

I am basically finished with the brewstand, need a few more coats of stain to even the tone and I still need to add a heat shield next to the BK burner. Attached a couple of cell phone pics, the stand looks much nicer than the pics portray. I'm fairly happy with it. Thinking about going electric with the HLT and also thinking about adding a 30 plate chiller from brewhardware. It would boost the cool factor quite a lot. (pun intended). But I've been reading a bit about an IC recirculation addition and some say it is just as good or better as a plate chiller. Now that a pump in in the set-up that would be an inexpensive option but if Santa brings me a plate chiller I'm not going to reject it! :pipe:

Here's a few poor quality photos of the stand.

The first is of the front. SQ-14 burner and keggle will go on the left, 10g Igloo mash ton next and and HLT on the far right. The stand is 72 inches long, I placed the wheels on the right end and about the middle so I could pivet it easier. I have a support that fits inside the stand for storage and will slip it in under the left end when the stand is weighed down

The second is the back. The thing in the middle is a chugger pump with a plastic trashcan cut to size as a splash sheild. You can't tell by the high quality pics but directly above the pump are two switch controlled outlets. One the pump is plugged into and the other I might use for an electric HLT power source or maybe lighting for night brewing.

Photo-0014.jpg

Photo-0015.jpg

That's the good thing about pipe smoking, pick it up when you want and forget about it when you don't want. It's good to have hobbies! I wish I knew how to repair engines but the extent of my experience is changing oil and airing tires.

I am a mechanical idiot and usually despise wrenching on the greasy things. But this machine costs me pennies, in gas, compared to the other rube goldberg device I drive. I've actually had fun working this bike. And, normally, I'd do such things puffing on a pipe (or cigarette) but, considering the nature of the liquids a carberator handles, I decided it best to leave the pipe cold.

The stand looks nice, Dan!!

I got my MM pipe grab bag today. Ten pipes, all in good shape. I got Legends, Mizzous, Missouri Prides and a Country Gentleman. Some bent, some straight, all only minor visual flaws at worst. I have only began to smoke one, but they're all airtight. I'd say it's a great way to get a nice selection of pipes.

Thanks Dan. The photos don't do it justice.

I might just have to send off for this grab bag deal. I like corncobs they are light weight and smoke cool from the get go.

Thanks Dan. The photos don't do it justice.

I might just have to send off for this grab bag deal. I like corncobs they are light weight and smoke cool from the get go.

For sure. Figure I get a pipe for the car, the camper, the garage and a few for around the house. They're far better than the $5 cobs at the local tobacco/cigar shop, which is what I'd been using on camping trips. Maybe I can actually make headway on ditching the cigs. I'm like you, I like to stop, smoke and think while working on a project. If I have a choice between pipe and cigarette, I'll take a pipe. :pipe:

For sure. Figure I get a pipe for the car, the camper, the garage and a few for around the house. They're far better than the $5 cobs at the local tobacco/cigar shop, which is what I'd been using on camping trips. Maybe I can actually make headway on ditching the cigs. I'm like you, I like to stop, smoke and think while working on a project. If I have a choice between pipe and cigarette, I'll take a pipe. :pipe:

I went the eCig route. Been nearly a month and a half, I think, since my last cigarette.

Just happened on this thread, but I'll be keeping up with it from now on. I've been a pipe smoker since I was 18--my older brother bought me a nice briar for my birthday. I've been known to enjoy an occasional pipe ever since. Currently I've got five or six--a corncob that's so tar-covered as to be almost totally unsmokable, kept only for sentimental reasons; three briars that are my go-to pipes: a straight bulldog, a half-bent billiard and a full-bent billiard; and a clay pipe that I bought in Jordan a couple of years ago, and which I've never really been able to enjoy, it smokes so hot.

Haven't had a pipe in at least a couple of months, but reading this thread has sparked the urge. Think I'll go home, pour a couple of fingers of scotch and sit on the porch. Thanks for the motivation!

I went the eCig route. Been nearly a month and a half, I think, since my last cigarette.

I've been thinking about that more and more, I may have to try it out. I've been smoking less cigs in general, but I still have a tendency to chain smoke in certain situations. I'm a writer, and when I write I've been known to smoke one after the other. An eCig type thing may be a good solution to that.

NB that is a great idea! I smoked cigs. at one point in life and and loved to smoke. I remember back when the saying was kick the habit. Much easier said than kick the addiction to nicotine, or maybe not.. Going to finish this post with a PM to you my friend.
t

Okay, I know this is a pipe smoking thread and I sidetrack it occasionally. Like HBT, we have common interest in brewing. On this thread there is a common interest in homebrewers who smoke pipes. But I am guilty of leading this thread off topic with talk about Big Band music, old movies and most recently the brew stand I just built.

Now I'm going to go OT once again because I feel comfortable talking to you guys. I'm building an electric HLT out of my 8 gallon aluminum HLT. The kettle is already set up with a pickup tube, ball valve, thermometer and sight gauge. (Thank you Bobby of BrewHardware!) A couple days ago I took the plunge into electric. Got a 1500 watt heating element from Lowes, some wiring stuff and drilled a hole in the HLT. That's always a bit scary, drilling a hole in a perfecty sound pot. Now I'm waiting for the potting compund to cure.. spinning my wheels.

I don't know how effective 1500 watts will be at heating 6-7 gallons of mash water or whether it will get the sparge water up to heat within an hour. Gonna find out though. This was an inexspensive go at it. Ten bucks for the element and ten for the wiring stuff. I'll test it once the liquid black tape I used for potting compound cures. I think that is going to be a few days from now. Then I'll install the heating element, fill the pot with 6 gallons of water and time how long it takes to get to 170F.

:mug:

Dan

Now I'm going to go OT once again because I feel comfortable talking to you guys. I'm building an electric HLT out of my 8 gallon aluminum HLT. The kettle is already set up with a pickup tube, ball valve, thermometer and sight gauge. (Thank you Bobby of BrewHardware!) A couple days ago I took the plunge into electric. Got a 1500 watt heating element from Lowes, some wiring stuff and drilled a hole in the HLT. That's always a bit scary, drilling a hole in a perfecty sound pot. Now I'm waiting for the potting compund to cure.. spinning my wheels.

I don't know how effective 1500 watts will be at heating 6-7 gallons of mash water or whether it will get the sparge water up to heat within an hour. Gonna find out though. This was an inexspensive go at it. Ten bucks for the element and ten for the wiring stuff. I'll test it once the liquid black tape I used for potting compound cures. I think that is going to be a few days from now. Then I'll install the heating element, fill the pot with 6 gallons of water and time how long it takes to get to 170F.

:mug:

Dan

Sounds pretty cool, man! You'll have to post pics once you're up and running. :mug:

While Dan gets serious about his brewery, I have gotten serious about my motorcycling hobby too. After recently investing some time and monies to tune it, I realized I have done little to invest any time or monies to protect myself aside from buying a helmet the day I bought the bike. 8 years ago. So, for my own birthday and christmas I opted to gear up with a new helmet, one piece riding suit, safety vest with spine armor, and new boots.

I figure if I am going to ride as much as I can through this fall/winter/spring season, I need as much protection as I can get.

Dan, how much are you in the hole on that electric set up so far? I'm considering doing the same, but haven't really started looking into it. Just want to get a feel for what I'm in for when I do switch over.

While Dan gets serious about his brewery, I have gotten serious about my motorcycling hobby too. After recently investing some time and monies to tune it, I realized I have done little to invest any time or monies to protect myself aside from buying a helmet the day I bought the bike. 8 years ago. So, for my own birthday and christmas I opted to gear up with a new helmet, one piece riding suit, safety vest with spine armor, and new boots.

I figure if I am going to ride as much as I can through this fall/winter/spring season, I need as much protection as I can get.

Didn't happen if there's no pics. I'm picturing something like GilaStig.

Dan, how much are you in the hole on that electric set up so far? I'm considering doing the same, but haven't really started looking into it. Just want to get a feel for what I'm in for when I do switch over.

The pot was my HLT so that has been paid for long ago. About 20 dollars for the heating element, some wire, a plug. It's only 1500 watts though. I'm not going to try to boil with it.

Sounds pretty cool, man! You'll have to post pics once you're up and running. :mug:

Thanks NB!.

After doing this I read some of the electric build threads, my simple electric HLT is kingergarten level compared to the builds on this site! I fired it up tonight (while smoking a pipe of course) and was able to heat 5 gallons to 175 degrees in 55 minutes. Nothing spectacular but it sure was quiet and will serve it's purpose for 5 a gallon batch's mash and sparge water.

I'm just having fun, this has sparked my interest in a full on electric build someday. Now time to start doing much more reading.

Cheers man! Looking like the beers I'm going to send are falling way behind schedule, but promise you'll get them before ... Christmas? :pipe:

Great idea GMB! I fully believe in seatbelts in cars and trucks and aeroplanes and "Buckle up - It's the Law!" Kind of ironic that those of us on bikes can ride with minimal gear other than a helmet. And in some states helmets aren't even required. I used to cringe when I lived in Hawaii and saw people riding down the road in flip-flops, shorts, tank top and no helmet! Certainly a cool factor there but come on people!

Okay, dumb question. I know you mentioned your ride but not sure what it is street/racer/dirtbike?

Great idea GMB! I fully believe in seatbelts in cars and trucks and aeroplanes and "Buckle up - It's the Law!" Kind of ironic that those of us on bikes can ride with minimal gear other than a helmet. And in some states helmets aren't even required. I used to cringe when I lived in Hawaii and saw people riding down the road in flip-flops, shorts, tank top and no helmet! Certainly a cool factor there but come on people!

Okay, dumb question. I know you mentioned your ride but not sure what it is street/racer/dirtbike?

'Zuk Boulevard?

2004 Honda Shadow Aero 750cc. Stock 35hp, after mods 42hp. Retro Cruiser Honda Davidson.

Pounding head against the wall.

Now I do think I remember you talking about a Shadow Aero earlier in the thread. (or maybe on some other thread? :eek:)

Great looking bike you have there!

Do you have a ride bell?

Pounding head against the wall.

Now I do think I remember you talking about a Shadow Aero earlier in the thread. (or maybe on some other thread? :eek:)

Great looking bike you have there!

Do you have a ride bell?

No. I do not. It is my understanding those are supposed to be gifted, and I am a solo rider (commuter bike) and not part of any group.

Not really superstitious either. If one was gifted to me I'd fit it to the bike but, I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain one either.

I think I am going to see if I can trade my helmet for the Yellow one.

I ordered it the other day, I can post back what I get/how they look and smoke. The reviews seemed to suggest it was worth it for 10-12 pipes.

I've been smoking pipe a lot lately, at least a bowl an evening. Mostly English Supreme, but some black & burley and some Virginia #!.
Tonight I went with a favorite cigar though, Gran Habaño #5 corojo. Really good stick, but I have a bowl of B&B packed to have with my morning coffee. :pipe:

Did you get any kind of shipping notification and/or tracking number?

So far I've gotten two emails from them. One confirmed the order and the other indicated order completion. Nothing has said that anything has shipped, when to expect delivery, or how to track the order.

I don't think I created an account tho. (I usually order as a guest).

Cheers man! Looking like the beers I'm going to send are falling way behind schedule, but promise you'll get them before ... Christmas? :pipe:

No rush, it'll be a nice surprise when it show up. :mug:

Did you get any kind of shipping notification and/or tracking number?

So far I've gotten two emails from them. One confirmed the order and the other indicated order completion. Nothing has said that anything has shipped, when to expect delivery, or how to track the order.

I don't think I created an account tho. (I usually order as a guest).

I think that's all I got as well. I know that I didn't get a tracking # or way to follow the package. It probably took a week or so from the "order completion" email to arrive.

Sadly, I'm not smoking anything aside from the occasional needed cigarette. It figures, on the same day I got my pipes, I got a box of cigars (Gran Habaño #5 corojo) and now I have a head and chest cold so there's no point in enjoying them. My own fault though, mine and my buddy's wife both had colds last week, we had dinner and drinks with them over the weekend and we guys enjoyed our beers with plenty of pipe smoking... now we're both sick and the wives are laughing it up. I'll take another shot of zinc with an Emergen-C back, please. :cross:

Nice, gotta love the uncanny timing! I got a couple "meh" cobs, but a couple that I would've chosen too. The Country Gentleman is a really nice looking and smoking pipe.

I haven't compared actual "models". They all pretty much look the same, and are pretty much the same size except one Freehand, and one egg. Otherwise, it's most either bent or straight bit.

Fine by me.

I haven't compared actual "models". They all pretty much look the same, and are pretty much the same size except one Freehand, and one egg. Otherwise, it's most either bent or straight bit.

Fine by me.

The egg's the gentleman. I looked at the Freehand, I kinda like it, you got a real steal too... alone it sells for $31.39!! :pipe:

Back