Kangen water system for brewing?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgremark

Reaction score
Alright for all you techie guy's, I have (just got) a Kangen water system and plan on using the water to see what diffence it will make. I have it set at a ph of 8.5, what do you guys think? Pro's con's etc etc.

TIA

Per various sources you'll get more tannins from your mash or steeped grains at higher pH. This would seem to be working it the wrong direction.

Why don't you just use the acidic outflow water?

Agreed, mash pH is what counts. And if the water pH starts out high, won't that affect the pH of the mash?

The mineral content of the water counts for a lot. Also, you can start with alkaline water as long as you adjust the pH down to the right range for your mash and sparge.

The Kangen allows me to adjust ph from a 2.5 to a 9.5. I may try a lower ph like a 5 and see what happens..............Thanks for all your input!

Really the way the Kangen has a higher pH is through keeping minerals in the water. Kangen is great for clean water and also heavily oxygenated water. Toy with the pHs to get your best results.

I have a Kangen machine, SD501, and I need to know how the beer turned out, or if you experimented at all with the water's ph and final quality of beer. I'm using AG and making an IPA this week. I've been told by my brew teacher to just use the clean water and not to use the 9.5, but the 9.5 extracts more out of tea and coffee than the clean water. I'm just not sure how it will, if any, effect the mash. Please someone enlighten me about this soon, I'm wanting to brew sooner than later...

Actually the 6.0 beauty water from the Kangen machine is the best for home brewing. I just confirmed it with a brewer in CO.

Actually the 6.0 beauty water from the Kangen machine is the best for home brewing. I just confirmed it with a brewer in CO.

Well, whatever brewer confirmed that for you is wrong!

If you like your Kangen system, that's fine. but it's certainly not the best for brewing, unless you're using just basically RO (reverse osmosis) water. Even then, it might be fine for brewing but "best" would be pushing it.

Brewing with Kangen is probably perfect: great filtration properties, but you can have specific mineral water profiles for certain brews. You don't want distilled water for brewing. You'll still need to add some minerals to your water to get best results. And you want a mid-setting to hit a mash pH of 5.2 to 5.4. Never do you want your mash pH above 5.5.

I'd think it was a scam as well, if I thought it was just a water filter lol. But it's not about the what it is, more of what it does and how well it performs it. With 7 titanium platinum coated plates using eletrosis to physically rip your water apart and also allowing you to control that pH at any time? I'm more curious on how the 6.0 Brew went with brewingtiwan and if you noticed anything?

Wow! I loved the positive reviews from forum members that have 1 and 3 posts each. In addition, the original link in post #2 is no longer on the web. Can you say quackery?????

Hey there! I wanted to give my experience on brewing with Kangen Water 9.5. I only used it for steeping my grains and sadly I believe it has mess up my whole batch of beer. There is a strong overtone of grains and it's very unpleasant. Has anyone else have the opportunity to try this? Did any one have the same experience?
Cheers

As high pH Kangen water is chemically the same as water to which a little bleach (Clorox type) has been added I'm not surprised it ruined your beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back