Bottle cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
You pour the beer, then what? I would like to hear opinions on what everyone does with their bottles between batches. After pouring I rinse and shake with the hottest water out of the tap, let it drain and dry over night and put it away. Before the next bottling I rinse with hot water again and sanitize with starsan. What does everyone else do?

I do basically the same but throw them in the garage after washing and let them do whatever in there till I need more. The key is washing them out immediately after use.

i fill, shake, and dump until the water runs clear (hot water) then once more after it's clear (usually this means 3x total)
bottling day i fill my bolling bucket about 1/2 full with starsan solution, stack the bottles on my left, with the dishwasher on my right. i sanitize he dishwasher rack, then fill the first bottle with starsan, dump it back into the bottling bucket, put upside down on the sanitized dishwasher rack. repeat 60 times, and then bottle.

I used to rinse 3-4 times with hot water right after pouring the beer, and then fill it with iodophor and let it sit over night. I then started noticing a little ring in the neck of my bottles. Everything else was clean except this little filmy ring just where the headspace starts in my bottles. I am now soaking them overnight with a little bit of PBW (1/2 TPS), and then before putting them away, I soak them in iodophor for a few hours. This seems to have solved the problem.

Not all of my beers produce this ring of film. I've never had an infected bottle (that I know of). I'm not sure which one of my beers it was, but I'm not taking any more chances!

Lesson learned... just inspect your bottles very carefully, from top to bottom, and in good light. If you don't have any film, whatever process you are using is probably working.

I rinse once or twice after pouring the beer and store them. Then on bottling day I put the bottles in a 5gal bucket with a mild oxiclean solution in it. Then I remove from that solution and put in a bucket of clean, hot water. Then I rinse them one last time with my bottle washer. Then I sanitize with starsan and fill with beer while still wet from starsan....

Stauffbier said:
I rinse once or twice after pouring the beer and store them. Then on bottling day I put the bottles in a 5gal bucket with a mild oxiclean solution in it. Then I remove from that solution and put in a bucket of clean, hot water. Then I rinse them one last time with my bottle washer. Then I sanitize with starsan and fill with beer while still wet from starsan....

How do you feel about the starsan foam?

How do you feel about the starsan foam?

No worries whatsoever! Don't fear the foam! It's totally safe! I'd even drink starsan/water solution to prove my point. I've heard it's no more acidic than say a glass of orange juice, but don't use OJ to sanitize! haha...

After drinking, fill with water, finger over top, shake, pour, rinse again, put on bottle tree in garage to drain. After they are dry (I usually wait until the bottle tree has a lot on it), I take them off and put them in a case.

Before bottling, spray down tree with starsan, use vinator to shoot starsan 3-4x into bottle, then onto the tree.

I rinse and put them into stray spots in the dishwasher. I then store them until use, when I run all of my bottles through the diswasher for rinsing/sanitizing.

I do pretty much the same as Stauffbier. I rinse the bottle once it's opened and store it upside down in a case. On bottling day I wash them with Oxyclean, rinse, sanitize, and bottle the new brew.

That's pretty much what I do. Dump the dregs ijn the sink,then rinse a couple times till the water comes out clear. Then onto the bottle tree to dry before storing in covered 12 pack/case boxes. On bottling day,I fill the vinator 1/2 to 2/3 of the way with starsan. I give each bottle 5 pumps then onto the tree to bottle immediatly.

rinse after use, put away, visually inspect inside on bottling day, then soak in mild oxy solution and clean w/ bottle brush where warranted.
Star san to sanitize.

Back