low pressure propane Valves (Honeywell)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzarko

Reaction score
I have a question and I am hoping you can steer me in the right direction. I built the Brutus 10 and have an issue with my Low pressure Propane burners. I have a propane talk hooked to a low pressure regulator that connects to my gas beam. From there I have 3 Honeywell Dual Standing Pilot valves (SKU:VR8300A3500) hooked to a 6 inch low pressure burner. The problem I am having is with the flame. I am getting too much carbon out of the burners and it’s getting all over the frame and brew kettles. It’s a real mess. How can I tune the system to get rid of my carbon problem?

Lets start the trouble shooting with a couple questions;
Did you use a low pressure gas fitting that came with the burner or a standard brass fitting, standard brass fittings have too large an opening. The drill size for the gas jet for that burner should be around 1/16", if larger then it is for NG.
Is the air shutter disk all the way open or mostly closed, start with it closed and open it until flame is entirely blue with faint yellow tip.
How close is the burner to the keg or pot, if close enough that light blue center touches colder pot surface combustion is interrupted and soot forms on surfaces.
Is there enough room between the burner and shroud for the needed air to finish flame combustion, about half the air enters the burner and mixes, the other half meets the flame above the burner to complete the combustion.

I actually have gas pipe hooked to the burner and then the pipe goes into the LP fitting on the Honeywell valve. I will try shutting the valve all of the way and slowly opening it to see if I can get a blue flame. Right now I have all yelow/orange. That is the same with the kettles removed from the burners.

I'm having the same problem with my turkey fryer burner, el cheapo cast burner leaves soot all over the bottome of my boil pot, The air shutter disk if fully open, I may try raising my pot up some to see if that helps,

good suggestion thanks

Back