Wyeast Propagator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMac

Reaction score
Just got my ingredients for a brown ale. This is the first time I'm using the smack pack yeast so naturally I'm hesitant. The instructions are clearly laid out on the back, but it calls for Dry Malt Extract and I only have Liquid Malt Extract. Can I use the liquid? Or did I screw this up? Is the starter completely necessary with the smack pack?

I know, I know - noob questions. Sorry.

If it's the larger-size pack, and your batch is 5 gallons, you can get by without a starter for a normal-gravity ale like a brown. If you make a starter, it surely doesn't care whether you make it from LME or DME - just shoot for a gravity of 1.020 or so.

Just got my ingredients for a brown ale. This is the first time I'm using the smack pack yeast so naturally I'm hesitant. The instructions are clearly laid out on the back, but it calls for Dry Malt Extract and I only have Liquid Malt Extract. Can I use the liquid? Or did I screw this up? Is the starter completely necessary with the smack pack?

I know, I know - noob questions. Sorry.

Are you asking about the beer ingredients or the starter? both can be used in either its just the amounts needed to obtain the gravity are different.

Smack pack you can get away with lower gravity beers without a starter

Propagator pack absolutely need a starter

I was asking about the starter. I have the Wyest Propagator (25 billion cells). Just wanted to make sure that I can use LME for the starter because I don't have DME (which is what the instructions on the package ask for).

I was asking about the starter. I have the Wyest Propagator (25 billion cells). Just wanted to make sure that I can use LME for the starter because I don't have DME (which is what the instructions on the package ask for).

Sure - LME and DME are exactly the same, they just contain different amounts of water. DME is much easier to work with for starters, which is why people prefer it. Just use enough LME to get a gravity of 1.030 to 1.040 in an appropriately-sized starter.

Yes you can use LME but you need more than you would with DME as the LME still has water in it . Just get it to about 1.040 and your good to go. You do have a hydrometer don't you?

Okay. I just found this on another thread, does it sound sufficient?

2 tablespoons of LME
2 cups of water

In a sauce pan bring water to boil. Remove from heat and add LME. Put back on stove and bring back to boil. Remove from heat again and allow to cool.
When cool pour mixture into sanatized bottle, and add yeast. Shake vigorously. Cap bottle with aluminum foil,

Okay...the damage has been done. I'm going to relax, drink a homebrew, and hope it turns out alright.

Back