Watered Down?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spriggan486

Reaction score
I currently have a EDME classic pilsner kit fermenting away. It has been going for about a week now, and airlock activity has completely ceased. So, I decided to take an SG reading (before SWMBO woke up so she didn't nag me about caring about beer more than her) just to see how things were coming along. I decided to take a few sips from the sample I pulled. It didn't taste bad by any means, but it did taste kinda.... watery. It is a 5 gallon batch, I used the LME that came with the kit and 3 pounds of extra light DME. Is it normal for it to taste like that this early? and if not, can I do anything to fix it?

Just wondering. Thanks a lot everyone for any responses!

I'm not sure there is anything you can do for it now that primary fermentation is almost complete. Your beer will likely taste different once you carbonate it and let it age for a period. How much LME came in the kit?

I noticed the same thing on my first batch and it was a dark Scottish Ale. When I tested it after about a week and a half, I was kind of disappointed because it tasted watery and kind of "sharp" or "punctuated" (for lack of a better term). However, after another couple weeks in the fermenter, it was less watery. Now, after bottling, carbing and conditioning for 4 weeks, it's right tasty. Not watery at all and the flavors have really combined and mellowed quite well.

I wouldn't put much stock in a watery taste after one week. What was the OG and FG when you checked? Did you hit your gravity that you were looking for? Those are the important factors. Also, what temp did you ferment at and was it a lager yeast? Just need more info before jumping to any conclusions.

Many of my samples tasted watery before conditioning, so I think it's pretty normal especially for lighter brews. Once it's aged and carbonated it will definitely taste better.

Back