carboy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daznz

Reaction score
Are glass carboys ok to brew beer in?? Im not sure if light strike would be a problem

Cheers Daza

Glass carboys are ideal to ferment in. Light is an issue though.... just keep in it a closet or wrap it in a towel to keep the light out.

Putting it in a closet without anything on it would suffice, but wrapping something around it would be helpful for both light sensitivity and to maintain a steady temp. For the most part, the occasional light on the beer won't hurt it as long as you're not brewing a really light beer. The darker beers will generally resist most of the problems associated exposing the beer to light unless you keep it out in the light all day.

Someone on this forum (I forget who but his idea is brilliant & simple)
took the boxes from his carboys and cut a small hole in the bottom for his airlock and then set it upside down on his carboy. Voila! Instant light protection!

That is a good idea as long as you don't have a damp basement (cardboard absorbs moisture)...I know some of you out there do.

I put all my carboys in milk crates with several layers of cardboard inside the crate to cushion the glass.:D I also have them on dollies so I can move them between rooms.:D

Back