Making jerky sticks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it's easier to stuff if you roll the beef into little sausages before loading it into the tube. As for cleaning yeah that's a pain but if you can put it in the dishwasher it's not so bad.

+1 on rolling them into tubes. Roll out small logs slightly smaller than the tube diameter and drop a few of them in.

Sorry to resurrect a necro (truth be told I've brought older threads than this back while drinking and doing random searches...). I just got into making jerky, and have made 3 batches, one with top round, and two with ground beef.

The top round and first ground beef turned out great! Both were more traditional, soy, pepper, garlic, liquid smoke, etc. For the last batch I really wanted to try teriyaki. Mixed everything up, let sit in fridge for a day, loaded the jerky cannon, and dehydrated for 4 hours. It tastes like meatloaf. And not in a good way. You would swear I put ketchup in it. I'm baffled. Recipe was soy, powdered garlic, powdered ginger, powdered onion, teriyaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper.

Anyone have any good teriyaki jerky recipes? Preferable for ground beef, but even for whole muscle would be welcome as I think I could adapt it fairly easily.

For that matter, ANY ground jerky recipes, would be appreciated.

I have an LEM Jerky Canon and I dehydrated a batch of ground venison jerky with the sample packet of jerky seasoning included last season. They also included a packet of "Snack Stick" seasoning that says to fill 19-21mm collagen casings with the seasoned meat and dehydrate.

Since I prefer the flat strips, would it be ok to use the snack stick seasoning pack and just use the mix that way? I think it would taste good although it may taste more like a Slim Jim than jerky???

Yeah, that's what I have been doing. I want to get away from the packets though, and try some recipes from people on here. I have the LEM cannon also.

Back