10 gallon cooler SS False Bottom Round Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastside

Reaction score
I've been shopping around and scouring these forums for a stainless steel false bottom for a 10 gallon Rubbermaid (Home Depot) cooler for sometime now but I just haven't been able to find "the one," i.e. the one false bottom with the best performance to price ratio.

Since I figure that I'm not the only person looking for such an item, I thought I'd ask you all directly: Considering all the different options out there, including the mainstay outlets (NB, Midwest, AIH, AHB, eBay, etc) and various Amazon vendors, is there a general consensus on stainless false bottoms for the 10 gallon Rubbermaid/HD cooler?

I apologize if this is an unknowable unknown, but I had to at least ask.

Thanks for any input!

:mug:

Here's what I'm currently using from Adventures in Homebrewing.
I was previously using a standard perforated false bottom but ended up with a lot of stuck mashes.
I decided to use this FB after reading a few reviews.
I used this for the first time last weekend with a wheat beer. 4lbs 2 row & 4 lbs wheat.
I was able to recirc with my pump valve 3/4 open with no issues.
The previous FB I could only open about a 1/4 turn and would still end up with stuck mashes.
My effeciency with the wheat beer last weekend was 90%!
I plan on brewing an ESB next weekend and will post back my results.

Andrew

20130406_061707.jpg

I wrestled for a long time with what false bottom to get. I ended up trying the bazooka screen instead and love it. I have a ten gallon cooler and have had it full within inches of the top with a thick (1:1) mash many times and have never had it even slow down on me. It's easy to clean and easy to stir the mash around it. There's also no tun deadspace to deal with.

Back