Drunken homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biohaz7331

Reaction score
Ha ha so last night I had a few too many of my Irish Stout and I remembered I needed to make a yeast starter. I remember starting the boil and having one small boil over. This morning when I woke up I came out to it being on the stir plate and I couldn't remember cooling the wort or pitching the yeast. To my surprise the yeast was in the trash empty and it seems to be doing well so I don't think I cooked the yeast.
Anyone else have funny or surprising drunken brewing stories?

I fell asleep/passed out during the boil, dreamed about hops, woke up just in time to add the last of them.

About 5 batches ago, I got hammered during a brew. 4 batches ago, I realized I do a crappy job of cleaning the equipment when hammered.

After a few too many, I feverishly scrubbed my carboy at least 6 times and two 30 minute soaks trying to remove a spot of stubborn caked on grime. It later dawned on me that I couldn't remove the stuff because it wasn't on the inside of the carboy...it was on the outside.

I have also found that I leave a lot more put and dirty when I've been drinking but it was just so delicious and went down so well. At least everything has turned out well for everyone so far.
Oh and I have done the intense scrubbing only to find it was on the outside as well.:D

Last time I got smashed during a brew day I had:

1) A boil over
2) Wild temperature fluxuations
3) Malliard reactions
4) Ran over mash time
5) Did a crap job cleaning afterwards

From then on, i've limited myself to two beers on brew days and I nurse the hell out of them.

I always think doubling the hops is a fantastic idea when I'm half lit and brewing. Turns out fine, but I run through hops like crazy.

That and I always managed to trip on my hoses and spill my bucket of sanitizer.

Oh, and I never clean my carboys when I'm trashed.. Beer turns out fine, but I pay for it with the caked on crap at the necks.

Yeah you always think your fine and the next day you look at what you did. Hell I spill a lot of water when I'm sober and I spill even more when I'm drinking. Nice to hear some other funny experiences we can look back at and laugh some.

I've got a pretty strict no drinking before the boil starts rule. Brewing in the am and not having a beer til I'm getting ready to transfer to the carboy is usually the best idea.

Yeah that does make sense. I never have more than a couple when doing my actual boil but I got caught up in what I was doing and drinking then realized I needed to make my starter ha ha. Guess next time I'll do the starter before I start drinking!

It's hard to drink while brewing this time of year in Wisconsin. Last summer though, I tried a "no beer until I start the chiller" rule. On a beautiful summer night I was amazed at how many beers can fit into a short 30 minute chill and the later cleanup.

It's hard to drink while brewing this time of year in Wisconsin. Last summer though, I tried a "no beer until I start the chiller" rule. On a beautiful summer night I was amazed at how many beers can fit into a short 30 minute chill and the later cleanup.

Lol I can only imagine but at least it sounds enjoyable:drunk:

Back