Recipe suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyklez

Reaction score
From the various beers I've made in the past months, I've ended up with 8ozs each of aromatic malt, carahell and carapils. I extract brew with these steeping grains, and thought about using them since they're left over to brew something soon. I thought I'd check with everyone to see if there's a recipe out there that uses these specific malts. I also just considered steeping them all together, then throwing in some amber extract and some random hops from the LHBS and seeing what I come up with. I don't have any brewing software yet, so I don't know what style I'd end up with, but it could be fun I guess. Any other suggestions?

Carahell is basically Crystal 10, so you can use that for almost any recipe. As a frame of reference, 0-7% is typical for an American IPA. Carapils is already in extract, so it's kind of redundant to use it, but it won't hurt to use it either. It's basically for head retention and added fullness, none of which you should have a problem with if brewing the typical extract recipe. Aromatic malt is good in darker ales under 10% total grist.

Interesting. Well, maybe I'll steep them all, add 7 lbs of amber DME, a basic IPA hop schedule, and perhaps I'll dry hop this one. I've never done that before. Safeale 05. Hmmm, could this be my first original recipe? I don't know enough of the science of brewing to claim that what I end up with was intentional. But I've gotten the art of it down.

Interesting. Well, maybe I'll steep them all, add 7 lbs of amber DME, a basic IPA hop schedule, and perhaps I'll dry hop this one. I've never done that before. Safeale 05. Hmmm, could this be my first original recipe? I don't know enough of the science of brewing to claim that what I end up with was intentional. But I've gotten the art of it down.

I'd use light extract for sure, ESPECIALLY if you're making an IPA, otherwise you'll get a way too sweet beer. Also, dry hops are pretty much required for an IPA, so definitely do that.:mug:

Back