Stan Hieronymus' 10 Beers that Changed America

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
http://appellationbeer.com/blog/10-beers-that-changed-america/

1. Anchor Steam
2. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3. Samuel Adams Boston Lager
4. Fat Tire
5. New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red
6. Pliny the Elder
7. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
8. Dogfish Head World Wide Stout and Samuel Adams Utopias
9. Cuvee de Tomme
10. Dale’s Pale Ale

The link (especially some of Stan's comments explain further)

There is also a Chicago version for folks familiar with that territory
http://appellationbeer.com/blog/10-beers-that-changed-the-chicago-area/

We (HBTers that went to Denver) had the opportunity to talk to Stan at the AHA.
He has logged into the site in the days following the conference.
Here's to hoping that he posts here now and again.

I'm really glad Sprecher made the Chicago list. It was an important brewery for me growing up in Milwaukee.

Looked at the Chicago version and I was surprised to see Mad Hatter. This seems like an incredibly average, overly bitter IPA. There was no malt taste at all, just an overwhelming bitter taste from relatively boring hops.

I've had about 8 of those beers and I couldn't disagree with any one of them. They were truly groundbreaking for the craft brew industry.

Stan was a great dude.

I've had all of them and while I'm not a huge fan of some on the list, I agree with Dude that they all deserve to be there for there contributions to advancing the Craft Beer industry.

I thought the list was pretty well composed overall. His comment about Celis is kinda interesting and to me, as it was something I expected to see on the list.

I also expected some fat tire bashing... :)

One of the next beers we are going to be talking about is Firestone Walker 10, although it was a one off. The combination of understanding the wood contribution and blending should open things up for another round of interesting beers.

And something homebrewers can do. Matt Brynlidson's presentation at NHC was full of great tips - so get a copy if you haven't already.

And, yes, I've been looking around the site when I've had time. I'll look to contribute mostly in general techniques and in ingredients - areas where something I've learned about Belgian brewing can be applied.

BrewLikeAMonk said:
One of the next beers we are going to be talking about is Firestone Walker 10, although it was a one off. The combination of understanding the wood contribution and blending should open things up for another round of interesting beers.

And something homebrewers can do. Matt Brynlidson's presentation at NHC was full of great tips - so get a copy if you haven't already.

And, yes, I've been looking around the site when I've had time. I'll look to contribute mostly in general techniques and in ingredients - areas where something I've learned about Belgian brewing can be applied.

Welcome!! I am certainly looking forward to reading your contributions.

Are these in order? While I don't disagree with the top three, I really don't see how any of them don't deserve to be #1 (especially Sam Adams)....I would have a three way tie for first...Actually I read the link and they are in the order of introduction...OK then never mind.

Unfortunately being in Atlanta I can only get 4 of those and have only had 4 of them.

I think I would add:
11. Regional Micro/Craft Brew...this is what most people drink and no matter (almost) where you live there is a local craft brewer that makes and puts out good beer.
The ones I would plug: Abita Brewery, Sweetwater Brewery and Terrapin Brewery.

The order was in when they were released. The Anchor product is the oldest and so the first on the list.

brewt00l said:
I also expected some fat tire bashing... :)

While I don't think Fat Tire is anything special now, I owe gratitude to that beer as it completely changed my idea of what beer could be. Back in the early 90's it truly was something special. That bready, hoppy goodness changed my views forever. It belongs on the list IMHO, no doubt.

Dude said:
While I don't think Fat Tire is anything special now, I owe gratitude to that beer as it completely changed my idea of what beer could be. Back in the early 90's it truly was something special. That bready, hoppy goodness changed my views forever. It belongs on the list IMHO, no doubt.

Fat Tire has never been distributed in my area that I am aware of. There are a number of east coast peeps that have migrated to Co. and on their return trips home, regularly bring cases of fat tire back for their friends and family. The cases are usually gone in days! To me that really says something.

Cheesefood said:
Looked at the Chicago version and I was surprised to see Mad Hatter. ....
I think some of the info there is rather dated. I liked Mad Hatter better than you did, but I agree with it's inclusion. Their Dragon's Milk Barrel-Aged Strong Ale, OTOH - mmmm, yummy!

Bell's, you can't get here anymore and I can't recall the last time I saw Grey's sold here - maybe 5-6 years ago?

If you're going to talk about beers that changed the landscape in Chicago, you have to mention two good beers that fell by the wayside in the late 1990s - Chicago Brewing Company (their Big Shoulders was the first Porter I ever had) and Pavichevich Brewing Company, which made Baderbrau, probably the first area micro.

BrewLikeAMonk said:

:off:Sweet, I missed this. I have listened to the podcast from Basicbrewing radio several times now and it has certainly given me tremendous insight into technique.

What a hard task to pull off! I think this is a great list from the stand point of moving the industry along and in new directions. It will be interesting to see what beers will be added over the next 10 years. Thank you Stan.

Back