grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaproll

Reaction score

A question to the group.
I have just bought a new Crankinstein mill, and will be buying grain in bulk.
I want to know what size container works best to store a 50# bag of grain, and keep it air tight. I also want to know what kind of container works best.
I understand it's best kept in an airtight container and kept cool and it should last up to a year. thanks for your input.

How much of a hassle is it to get to a local homebrew shop?
If you have one close by you don't have to buy in bulk. I am lucky enough to have a couple of good shops close by and only buy enough grain for one batch at a time.
Having said that, on to your question.
A plastic trash can with a tight lid would work. You may want to line it with a food grade bag or plastc wrap of some kind.

I use that font a lot , sorry offended you, but then on the other hand I think you have over reacted.
I was asking for advise on brewing beer not type etiquette!!

snaproll said:
I use that font a lot , sorry offended you, but then on the other hand I think you have over reacted.
I was asking for advise on brewing beer not type etiquette!!

I'm the kind of person that tries to prevent my friends from going out wearing a brown belt and black shoes, so don't fret it if I'm just giving you style points. I'm jjust trying to help you from this point FORWARD. Comic Sans is a bad font to use.

One or two six gallon food grade buckets with lids should be fine. The same type that is commonly used for fermenters.

A 60 litre (15.85USG) bucket is the perfect size for a 25kg (near enough 50lb) sack of malt.

Regards,
Dave.

If you want a really great way to store food, keep it dry, and keep it for ages... got to the pet store. You can typically buy food storage bins there, like horse food storage bins. Anyway, they store stuff VERY well. I have two, one small one for storing my cats' food, and a large one that I tend to keep full with two bags of rice, that way I always have rice on hand.

They are relatively square shaped around the sides, with cut corners to take the edge off, and lids that seal air tight. They'll store better than any bucket and stack incredibly well. Their lids are fairly large and have a good-sized gasket on them that will make quite an impressive seal.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...older_id=2534374302026028&bmUID=1130341568657

There is a link to what I am talking about. No better food storage container to be found anywhere, not for anywhere near close to the price.

I mean I could imagine some sort of pressurized keg inside of another one just to ensure that there was a layer of co2 all the way around the first keg, but that would just get ridiculous and expensive. <smiles>

Are there any worries about weevols (sp?) in large sacks of grain being stored in plastic totes for an extended time? I want to use 55 gal plastic drums, lined with plastic food bags. I am about to order 10 sacks of grain myself, and am wondering the same thing. :confused:

I started this thread and I want to thank all of you for your input .
I looked at the pet food stores and online with US Plastics. All at or about $30.00 per container for the size I thought I needed. well that is a bit steep for me ( cheap ?? you bet).
While Shopping at a local discount store for groceries I found a container for pet food that will hold about 50lbs of bird seed. it is made but or sold under the name of Richell and it has wheels and a gasketed lid. I bought three of them for about $50.00 for al three. I think they will hold all I need and if not I can use up the surplus before I need to worry about the grain spoiling. Thanks again for your input and getting me off in a direction I hadn't even considered.

As far as weevils go, I'm not real sure, but I'd think the malting process would eliminate the pest problem for the most part. Due to the heat form the drying/roasting.
But I have no specific knowledge to back this up.

You are sure right on that account.
A little over $20.00 or even 30 for a base malt vs $1.50 a lbs at the HBS do the math.

Back