Two-Hearted Ale for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me Bells TH tastes like Smarties candy, which I could slightly make the connection to 'soapy'. It also has that sort of chalky mouthfeel that you would get if you threw 2 or 3 packs of Smarties in your mouth and chomped them all up.

I'm a candy freak so thats where I make the comparison, and I love it!

I tried the Northern Brewer clone, but it didn’t turn out good at all - had that band-aid flavor to it. quite dissapointed

Chefencore said:
I tried the Northern Brewer clone, but it didn’t turn out good at all - had that band-aid flavor to it. quite dissapointed

I doubt it was the kit, but prob your process. The band-aid flavor can come from yeast or cleansers used.

Quote:
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.
-John Palmer

I agree about the process problems. I'd thought I had a very sanitary process until an experienced brewer friend came over to watch me brew. He pointed out five or six things that never occurred to me but were real problems. Since then (when i also started ferm temp control) my beer's been much better!

Mpavlik22 said:
I doubt it was the kit, but prob your process. The band-aid flavor can come from yeast or cleansers used.

Should have said that! Not blaming the kit. Still sucks though.

I haven't been able to find in two-hearted in 3 weeks! :( I have been to at least 10 stores with no luck. I guess it is time to make a batch.

Back