What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having first taste of fiancees Green Tea Kombucha , delicious and awesomly tart! Thank you and your wife for the scoby Gabe!

ForumRunner_20131021_173916.jpg

Channel66 said:
I'm totally kidding if mine dried up it would really gum up the works it's the biggest river in the state, and this close to the ocean they ship tankers up it.

Throw a damn line out already and cook dinner.

Anybody feel like waxing poetic on kombucha for a min? What's the deal with it? Fermented tea, right? Alcoholic? Probiotic? Why do I want to try it? Or do I not?

Anybody feel like waxing poetic on kombucha for a min? What's the deal with it? Fermented tea, right? Alcoholic? Probiotic? Why do I want to try it? Or do I not?

Fermented tea, but I don't think it would ferment with the sugar. 1 cup per gallon is what my wife does, which now that i think about would make more alcohol than I thought if it ferments out completely. Probiotic, yes. It's not my favorite beverage, but a lot of people like.

Fermented tea, but I don't think it would ferment with the sugar. 1 cup per gallon is what my wife does, which now that i think about would make more alcohol than I thought if it ferments out completely. Probiotic, yes. It's not my favorite beverage, but a lot of people like.

It's got an almost cult following around these parts. They do more kombucha classes at my lhbs than wine classes.

The batch just harvested was around 1.040 but the bacteria converts that alcohol to lactic (I think) so the end product is very low alc content. But we now have 2 gallons. One to enjoy lightly carbed and one for me to play with which I will do today

New Holland had one that was about4.2% so I was thinking bringing the sg back up to 1040 and pitching ec1118 to make sure the other bacteria are overpowered and see how that goes

The batch just harvested was around 1.040 but the bacteria converts that alcohol to lactic (I think) so the end product is very low alc content. But we now have 2 gallons. One to enjoy lightly carbed and one for me to play with which I will do today

1.040? Wow, so almost 1 lb/gallon? I don't think lacto will convert alcohol to acid, but it will convert sugar to acid, though some strains also make alcohol.

The mrs kombucha is getting better. She did some on blueberries that is pretty good. I think the first few fermented too warm and were overly acetic.

I tried some commercial Kombucha. I was not a fan. Possibly because it was technically being marketed as a probiotic and probably did not have any alcohol in it since my wife bought it at a convenience store (we live in PA...no alcohol sold in convenience stores.) So maybe I need to have my wife make some. She'd definitely be into it being a health nut and all. Is homemade better than the commercial stuff?

I tried some commercial Kombucha. I was not a fan. Possibly because it was technically being marketed as a probiotic and probably did not have any alcohol in it since my wife bought it at a convenience store (we live in PA...no alcohol sold in convenience stores.) So maybe I need to have my wife make some. She'd definitely be into it being a health nut and all. Is homemade better than the commercial stuff?

It's low enough percentage to not require it to be listed as alcoholic.

Some of the commercial stuff I've seen is questionable (filtered, backsweetened, etc) and I think the kombucha label is used as a marketing ploy in some cases.

I like GT's and Buddha's Brew.

I think the biggest selling point for homemade is that the commercial stuff is so dang expensive, when it really doesn't cost that much to make yourself.

I've never tried it. I'm a bit stubborn when it comes to things that everyone else is doing.

For example because all you fools are making saison with my yeast I've moved on to a different one. Mwahahaha.

2011 breakfast stout!

Nice!! Wish Founders distributed out here... How do you like that stick? I have been looking at them and haven't been able to decide on picking some up.

Drinking some water now while organizing the beginnings of my tiny yeast lab. Got some Wookey Jack waiting for me in a bit though

CYMERA_20131021_141412.jpg

1.040? Wow, so almost 1 lb/gallon? I don't think lacto will convert alcohol to acid, but it will convert sugar to acid, though some strains also make alcohol.

The mrs kombucha is getting better. She did some on blueberries that is pretty good. I think the first few fermented too warm and were overly acetic.

Almost. I think the recipe I got ahold of was a little ambitious

Nice!! Wish Founders distributed out here... How do you like that stick? I have been looking at them and haven't been able to decide on picking some up.

Drinking some water now while organizing the beginnings of my tiny yeast lab. Got some Wookey Jack waiting for me in a bit though

Where'd you order from?

I like it smooth and a nice tight ash all around good smoke I would recommend grabbing one. If you want founders let me know we can work something out.

Thinking of having the other plastic bottle of my cider or a beer. Waiting for people to get their **** together and send me stuff so I can work is annoying me.

Someone is eating her feelings ...

I made pumpkin pie bars in a pie plate because I was too lazy to find the square pan. They're delicious and sweet. The DFH punkin isn't as good as I recall (I think I complained about that this weekend) but it does taste good with my pie. :)
IMG_5595.JPG

I made pumpkin pie bars in a pie plate because I was too lazy to find the square pan. They're delicious and sweet. The DFH punkin isn't as good as I recall but it does taste good with my pie. :)

Feelings? What are those?

I made pumpkin pie bars in a pie plate because I was too lazy to find the square pan. They're delicious and sweet. The DFH punkin isn't as good as I recall (I think I complained about that this weekend) but it does taste good with my pie. :)
View attachment 155420

Can you really not remember drinking the last one?

Feelings? What are those?

I just have the one.

looks like another case of the mondays!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back